1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

E85

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by OGC Director, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I recently traded in my 08 ride for a 2011. The new one came with a flexfuel engine and since E85 was 45cents cheaper than reg unleaded I gave it a try. Now I knew that my mpg would take a hit but not to the degree it did. I went from a combo mpg of 27-28 to a mpg of 19. Now I know it's a new motor and my mpg will improve when it's broken in but 19 is not good. I expected to lose 3-4 mpg not almost 10. I'm wondering if the cold weather is a factor as well.

Has anyone had success using E85? Are my results typical? Will warm weather improve mpg? Are there any +'s to using E85?

Rich (just wondering) in Indiana

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

The Matrix has you now. You will be assimilated.

Just wait until your grandchildren get an electric car, and their "juice" comes from a publicly-regulated power plant that has to request a "hallway pass" from regulators before they can increase generating capacity. Then the bureaucrats can control your travel mileage the same way they regulate thermostats.

...Sure hope Trappy, Trinketshooter, and Dahaub's grandkids don't have to travel too far to their union workplaces then.

This message brought to you by your local democrat party - proudly protecting the "Working Man" since umpteen-thirty-six.

3. msmith

msmith Member

Yes, your results are pretty close to mine. I figure I loose about 1/3 of fuel mileage with E85. E85 is not the answer. For E85 to be cost effective it must be 2/3 of the price of regular gas which probably has 10% ethanol in it. Mike

4. shootsun

shootsun TS Member

From what I have researched the ONLY reason to change is to be greener and even that is in question with how much it takes to make it energy wise.

Shane

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Even Al Gore thinks it's a mistake...

"It is not a good policy to have these massive subsidies for first generation ethanol. First generation ethanol I think was a mistake. The energy conversion ratios are at best very small… One of the reasons I made that mistake is that I paid particular attention to the farmers in my home state of Tennessee, and I had a certain fondness for the farmers in the state of Iowa because I was about to run for president"

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Typical government Kool-Aid.

The powers that be could not care less about fuel mileage. They only care about how tax subsidies and proclaiming themselves to be green get them more votes.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

Science and proof be damned.

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have an E85 and burn 100% premium gas supplied by BP. Mileage goes up, not down.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

You get less energy per pound from Ethanol than you do from Gasoline. That 10% mixture you buy these days allows you to experience a significant degradation of fuel economy. E85 is an abomination. The fuel would have to decrease in cost by a significant amount before there would be any advantage, economically. It's also questionable whether the Ethanol mixes are even environmentally friendly. Water is also an issue, especially when a vehicle is not driven for a period of time.

9. psfive

psfive Member

Next depending upon where you live you may find yourself freezing your a_s off in the winter. This is because the GREEN E85 does not make the same amount of energy (heat) as gasoline. It's a FAKE fuel from start to finish! Paul in Nebraska.

10. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I'd be leery of buying it if for no other reason than it's purchased by so few people that the stuff in the gas station's tanks is probably old and stale.

Also, since ethanol attracts water, there is probably a lot of that accumulated in the station's tanks as well. Good way to find yourself stalled in the winter.

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The only thing E85 is good for is hotrods. This stuff is great fuel for hipo engine. It runs cooler and doesn't detonate under high cylinder pressures. You'd be surprised how much horsepower can be developed in a turbo engine when properly tuned for E85.

ss