1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

E3??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jburger, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jburger

jburger TS Member

Anyone using this powder?? IF so how do you like it compared to say Red Dot??

Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. blacklab

blacklab Member

I have not used Red Dot, but campared to Int. it is not as clean.

3. jburger

jburger TS Member

Anyone using this powder?? IF so how do you like it compared to say Red Dot??

Thanks,
    Jeremy

4. blacklab

blacklab Member

I have not used Red Dot, but campared to Int. it is not as clean.

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

e3 is a real good 7/8 & 1oz powder: light charge-weights, consistent drops, not cold sensitive, etc.

At 1-1/8oz, it can get pressury, so you have to pay close(er) attention to components and drops.

e3 is a good RD competitor/alternative, but RD & 700-X are still the 1oz gold standard.

I dunno/don't pay any attention to how clean or dirty a powder might be, but e3 is supposed to be pretty clean over 9000psi.

Bob

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I like E3 for 1 oz. loads for my 1100 and 11/87. I load 16.5 grains in an STS hull with the TGT12S wad and a Remington 209P primer. This load is around 1150 fps and is super clean. It cycles the 1100 and 11/87 with ease.

My understanding is that E3 is one of Alliant's new generation of premium powders. It costs a little more than Red Dot. It has the same burning rate as Red Dot but the same weight of E3 takes up less space.

I like E3 and have used around 10 8# containers but I am probably going to switch back to Red Dot as E3 is sometimes hard to find.

Ed Ward

7. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I use e3 in my 7/8 oz. loads, and can say from personal experience that it's one of the best if not THE best powder currently available for 7/8 oz. 12 ga. reloads in the 1150-1250 fps range. e3 doesn't seem to be affected by hot or cold temperatures and (unlike the other powders) burns much cleaner with light loads. I tried Bullseye a few years ago, but the correct powder charges had such a small volume that it was difficult finding the correct wad to obtain a good crimp. e3 solved that issue nicely. For bunker loads of 1300+ fps I would probably use Red or Green Dot. ....Rick

8. jburger

jburger TS Member

Well that answers my questions since my wife is shooting a 391 and reddot is so dirty we may give it a try. We only load 1 oz so it should work good. Thanks for your input guys!

Jeremy

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I use a lot of e3 and like it very much. It is actually a little faster than Red Dot, but much, much cleaner. If you want to shoot 7/8oz or slower (1150fps) loads in 12ga in your autoloader, consider Alliant's newest powder- Extra-Lite. It is as fast or faster than Bullseye, is designed to be bulky, and burns so cleanly you cannot see any residue after 100 shots (in by O/U).

10. jburger

jburger TS Member

The extra-lite your talking about how's the recoil with that?? Recoil is bothering her a little. Right now I'm loading 17.9 Red Dot with claybuster wad 1 oz 8's AA hulls.

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Recoil is a function of shot weight and speed - the kind of powder doesn't matter.

Why don't you drop her to 7/8oz 1150fps loads, and the recoil problem will evaporate?

7/8oz - especially of 8½ or 9 shot - is a diesel-making load from inside the 20.

The CB0178 loads beautifully in AA. e3 or X-Lite will work just fine.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.