1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

e3 to Promo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by warren, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warren

warren Member

I have trouble purchasing e3 I don't know why but not very many suppliers have it in stock and then not much of it, so I'm considering switching to Promo and would like to hear any experiences or advice. Promo is cheaper and I wonder about it's performance.

warren

2. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I shoot nothing but Promo. I shoot it in a load that gives me 1200 FPS and in a one ounce load it has very low recoil. That is the reason I started shooting it, because the recoil was comparable to Rex 1, which I can't find any more. And I use less of the Promo to get the same FPS.

Kevin

3. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Cheap, but dirty like Red Dot. If you shoot an auto or heavy 1 1/8's you may not like it. However, I just popped the cap on jug number 9 and have no complaints so far. Loading in Fed GM's and STS @1150 to 1200 fps

4. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

I don't think you can go wrong with Promo, if there was ever one powder that offers both excellent all around performance and cost effectiveness with 1 1/8 Oz. target loads, Promo has got to be right at the top of the list. I'm sure Solo 1000 is a fine powder, but using the same components you'll burn roughly 2 more grains of it per load to achieve the same velocities as Promo, and you'll pay on average about $20 to $25 more per 8 lb jug for the privilege.

5. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Manufacturer strongly advises reweighing load after each new can (may have to change powder bushing!), and gently shaking can before refilling powder bottle on reloader. Otherwise, as stated, it's like red dot without the dot. Chichay

6. Feist Hunter

Feist Hunter TS Member

How does Promo perform in cold weather? Seems I hear some poppers from the guys who shoot Promo up here in Michigan in the winter.

MGM

7. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I was unhappy with promo. I had inconsistent loads and poor cold weather performance. I have switched to clay dot. Worked well all summer with cheddite primers. For cold weather I have switched to federal primers. 1oz at 1200fps.

8. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

For what I was saving between Promo and Red Dot, it was not worth it. Way dirtier than Red Dot and not as consistant. I was very happy when my 8# keg of Promo was gone. I have a friend that knows someone that works at Alliant that calls Promo ,floor sweepings. Red Dot and Green Dot never fail me. Bill

9. C-Money

C-Money Member

I know a lot of shooters that have had good success with Promo. I think you would do fine with it. I am currently using Clay Dot,and am on my second 8# jug. I bought 2 pounds of Green Dot recently and it was a great powder. I was trying to decide if I wanted to go to Green Dot, before I opend up my new jug of Clay Dot. Funny how I get an urge to try a new load once in a while. It was a toss up, so I decided to open up the Clay Dot and use it and not swich right now. I think the Green Dot patterend better in my gun.

10. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Depends on what lot it is and primers are used (I had trouble when I used Nobel Sports). From my talks with Ben, the base composition can change but the burn rate is the same.

That's one reason why the weights change per lot.

I use Fiocchi 616 with it very well whereas the NS had many duds, same jug

Try it

11. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

The only problem I ever had with promo is it is very dirty to say the least. I for the most part have switched to clays and green dot for caps.

12. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

I used to use 700X all of th etime, until the price started going up so I tried solo 100, OK american select not bad fairly clean but then went to clay dot and I really like it low recoil reasonable and fairly clean. You might want to give it a try. good luck alex Kotter, yes a lot of blooper in the winter time with Promo

13. illtrap1

illtrap1 Member

I loaded PB international clays SOLO 1000 best powder I have ever loaded 20 grns federal gold medal hull rio primer fed 12s3 wad 1150 fps no recoil no kick u can load it down or handicap loads too. Clayborn Hunter loads it with 18 grns in rem hull for double and 16s Clayborn Hunter is a great shot not too many senior vets load there own shells,Dan Drainer I have 2 24 pds kgs of it. Accurate makes it.Clean has high, chamber pressure people try to say high chamber pressure makes recoil,this powder does not kick,it ignites better with higher pressure have good even loads I have CRONO it nice smooth and most even out of all powders on cronograph.

14. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

Clay Dot is Alliant's answer to compete with Hogdon Clays, I've never tried any but I don't doubt it's a good choice, and it's only slightly more expensive for an 8 pounder than Promo, and considerably cheaper than Clays. I'll have to try a 1 lb. can of Clay Dot sometime and see how it performs.

15. warren

warren Member

Thanks from what I've gathered I think I'll just look harder for e3, it loads just like red dot, cleaner and no bloopers ever unless I don't get a good drop and that happens when I don't keep the bottle full. I did switch from Winchester primers to Cheddite a lot cheaper and have had no problem with them, but I sure don't like dirty powder.If anybody knows a good source for e3 I'd like to know it.

warren

16. wm rike

wm rike Member

I switched from WST to Promo. After all that blather about how dirty Promo was supposed to be, I'm still looking for the filth. It's a nice powder, except for the stigma of a low price.

17. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I don't understand why any supplier who sells Alliant powder won't order E3 for you if they don't want to keep it on the shelf.

I've burned about 16lbs of E3 in 7/8 ounce 12ga loads and have another 12 lbs to get through. When it's gone, I'll be trying Extralite. The E3 is good for a narrow niche...1 ounce in 12ga. It's squeaky clean, as claimed, and about 1/2 grain more efficient than Red Dot. But many people have abandoned it because of metering issues. After 20 years using powder baffles as standard practice, I had to give up using one with E3. No big deal, it works great without a baffle, but it was pretty frustrating until I arrived at the solution. I buy in bulk, so the metering may have improved with newer lots, but go up or down in shot weight and there are better choices in Alliant's line.

Week after week, lot after lot, year after year, 100 lbs after 100 lbs, Green Dot does all I ask in the 20, 16 & the 12ga for 1 ounce @ 1200 up to 1 & 1/8 ounce at 1250. I have to have a pretty good reason NOT to use Gr Dot and in the 12ga that means only 7/8 ounce loads.

18. 687 Trap

687 Trap Member

You will love Extra-Lite. It meters through my MEC w/baffle and varies less than .2 of a grain. Burns very clean in 7/8 and 3/4 oz loads no matter how you load them. Works very well in 1 oz loads as well. Best kept secret in reloading powders. Ron

19. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I have been loading extra-lite for my girl-friend 7/8 at about 1100fps. It has performed very well.
    I changed from green dot to unique for my handicap loads. 1250fps and very tolerable.

20. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

"Dirty" depends on pressure; low pressure and it doesnt fully burn.

I use 17.2 of Promo in 7/8 oz 12 ga Remington Gun Clubs and 19 in Federal hulls with Fio primers. These are not max loads but are clean. Bore size matters here too (to get pressure up)

And as far as baffles, it baffles me why they arent in the bottle to keep a good column on top of the bushing for good metering

I suppose a bar mounted baffle with it tiny column of powder drops lighter, but consistent charges but that also means different bushings

regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.