1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

E3 powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SR1, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Has anyone tried E3 powder and if so how do you like it?

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I like it alot . A very good cold weather powder Clean and soft . The only thing that could be a problem it is very sensitive to small changes in loading Data . Don,t load anything not in the book .

3. SR1

SR1 TS Member

ALF-99 how cold is cold to you? I live in WNY and do alot of shooting in NWPA and WNY the temps in the winter can be from -20 deg. up to and sometimes over 40 deg. I have not spoken to anyone in my area that is useing it and thought I would try it.

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

SR1 I like to use it in the Winter and it does get down to minus 5 . I use SOLO 1000 in the summer but it,s not good in the cold . E3 no problem .

I,v never used Rex2 . I think SOLO 1000 is a soft powder and E3 is softer .

5. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Best of the faster burn speed shotgun powders IMO. Very well suited to 7/8 oz, 1 oz, and 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz loads. I prefer Green Dot for faster 1 1/8 oz loads.

I'm about to open my 5th or 6th 8 lb jug of e3. Consistent jug to jug, consistent drops, low to moderate pressures, clean, I've never had trouble with it in the cold (NW PA shooter), low charge weights, and due to those low charge weights, when you work the cost out by shell it winds up being less expensive than the rest of the competition except for Promo.

~Michael

6. don q

don q TS Member

e3 rocks, use 17gr with 1 1/16 12SO wad and Wolf primer. Shoots quick and soft. Can't seem to find 8#ers locally in Calif though. don q

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I like it and have used about 32 lbs. I load 16.5 grains in a STS hull, Remington TGT12S wad, Remington 209P primer and 1 oz of hard 8's. This load crimps well and is about 1150 fps. It shoots very soft and consistent in all weather and really gives nice breaks. It is also very clean.

E3 is my favorite 1 oz. powder.

Ed Ward

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

e3 is also my favorite 1oz powder. My favorite load used to be school teacher's, but I've bumped it to 17gr, because I'm, trying to get everything clustered around 1200fps. Try some, you won't regret it.

One note of warning, it will melt polycarbonate powder hoppers if you don't drain it between loading sessions. There is any easy fix, but I learned the hard way.

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

was going to say same thing zzt said It is ok in mec bottles mut in a Lyman 55 Had a mess after it was stored a bout 2 weeks. Only problem, is listed for 12ga only

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Since someone asked, I'll post the fix again. I went to Staples and bought a package of Wilson Jones View Tab transparent dividers. They are made of a poly material. If you Google wilson jones transparent view tab dividers 55066, you'll find them (also listed as Acco/Wilson Jones).

Clean your powder hopper. Then cut the three ring binder holes and the tab off one of the dividers. Coil and insert into your powder hopper. It will expand to line your hopper. The "poly" material is impervious to the abundant nitroglycerin in e3, TightGroup, etc. You can leave your hopped filled for years with no ill effects. It is also anti-static.

11. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

What does an 8 lb. keg cost, ballpark?

12. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Around $95.

~Michael

13. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

I want to try the e3. Do any of the other brands besides Lyman 55 have polycarbonate powder hoppers? Thanx, Billy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

e3 powder forums

e3 powder burn speeds