1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

E3 Powder drops

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Clay KillR, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

I just did a few test drops with E3 powder. Some drops were a solid 1.5 grains lighter than what the MEC chart says I should be dropping at. E3 does not appear on the Alliant powder bushing chart. I purchased the bushings myself new so I know they are not altered.

I'm using a MEC 650.

My #30 bushing dropped 15.9-16.0 grains of E3. The MEC chart says 17.4 grains should drop from a #30.

My bushings drop Clays consistanly within 0.1-0.2 grains of what the MEC chart says, so I'm pretty sure it's not my equipment. I calibrated my scale.

I'm wondering if I got an off Lot or a wet or not well sealed bottle. It seemed fine when I opened it.

I tested #28 through #30, all dropped about the same percent light.
    For those of you who use E3 in a MEC, do you know what your #30 or there about is dropping? Or is E3 too new to have solid bushing data out yet?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. gary0920

gary0920 Member

#30 in my MEC 9000g drops 16.7 grains of E3 - #31 drops 17.4 grains. Everyone should use a scale to check their drops and not rely on a bushing chart.

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I don't care what the manufacturer says a bushing drops.. A scale is a MUST.. PERIOD.. NOTHING ELSE TO WHAT IF OR SAY.... Every container MUST be checked for weight.. PERIOD..

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

MEC bushing charts are based on single stage machines. That means the machine is cycled a number of times before you get to the powder drop stage, allowing the powder to settle. Hence, bushing charts tend to be heavier than if the drop is on a progressive machine. The difference is a safe difference: lighter rather than heavier. Further, how the user operates the machine can also drive differences in the drop. That is why a scale is required. I have found that E3 drops are very consistent, and I use a MultiScale Charge Bar to get what drop I need.

5. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Two things are at play:

First, Mec arranges things in such a way that the bushing will drop NO MORE than what it is advertised to drop. The reason for that is because the lawyers would have a field day in court if it could be shown that a bushing dropped even 1/10 of a grain more than what they said it would.

Secondly, as was noted in another post, they are calibrated for single stage loaders where there are 6 strokes of the handle per shell. This settles the powder in the bushing and it comes CLOSER to the weight it is supposed to drop. On a progressive loader, it is one stroke, one shell.....the drops will be a little light.

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

No bushing chart is accurate, no matter what loader brand. There is simply too much difference in the way any given loader is operated by any given individual. Additionally, any given powder is rarely consistent from lot to lot. One lot may give one weight, a different lot may well be significantly different. Even the same lot may vary, depending on age, exposure to air and moisture, etc. Bushing charts must only be used as a starting guideline . No reloader should rely upon them, and should always use a scale to check actual powder drops.

Jim R

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Bushing charts will get you in the ball park and the scale will get you dead on. You cannot rely on bushing charts and expect to get the exact drops they call for. You might get lucky once in awhile, but they are usually off by a couple of grains in many cases.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bob K, good post guy! Hap

9. hmrgun

hmrgun Member

It is also a good idea to weigh your drop from time to time. That's how I found out that the first drop out of my progerssive is always hot. When I finish the last shell I have had the powder turned off for six stations. The powder that is in the bushing shakes, settles, and more gets cut and compacted in the bushing. I always drop at least three charges and put them back in the hopper weighing them as I go until I have the correct charge.
    Good luck,
    Cliff

10. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

I understand how charts, scales and bushings work.

Thank you gary0920 for answering my question. His drops are somewhat more inline with the charts.

One more time, FOR THOSE WITH DIRECT EXPERIENCE WITH E3 IN MECs ONLY PLEASE, do you know what your #30 or there about is dropping?

11. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

On a single stage MEC, #29 usually gives me 15.7 grains, and a #30 bushing gives 16.3 grains of e3, and #31 is 16.8 gr.

~Michael

12. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

I use e-3 in a single stage mec 18.5 grains chart said to use #32 bushing this only dropped about 17.3 moved up to a #33 bushing and get 18.4 to 18.6 consistantly. I weigh powder drop at start of every new box of shells loaded and the drop is very consistant.

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Is your reloader close to a speaker??? Air condition blower??? washing machine?? All of these things make the powder settle/compact more than usual in a reloading machine.. I remember in the days of Pacific.. the bushing chart for a 155 was different than a 366.. I never trust a bushing.. and never trust a chart.. It's just a beginning for the quest of the right bushing..

14. Westshore

Westshore Member

MEC 9000H
    Mec #30 bushing 16.4 E3

Paul Becker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

e3 with mec bushings

mec powder bushings for e3 powder