1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

E3 or Clays?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Didreckson, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Looking for feedback from users that have experience with either/both of the above. I am probably going to have a semi auto in the near future, and thought why not start out with a super clean powder. Up until now, pretty much all break open guns, and I do clean them up each and every time I shoot.

I used Clays years ago, seems it was not only pretty clean, but metered well. I got a jug of E3, and have not had the opportunity to shoot any loads yet. Will do that Wednesday. However, with 700X, Unique and Clay Dot, I have been getting extremely consistent drops. For whatever reason E3 is fluctuating 16.2-16.6 which is a huge variation compared to my usual. Same loader, same reloader, same power drive, so my only conclusion so far is E3 does not meter as well?

Any input to your experience would be appreciated. I will clean the new auto loader when I get it, but my logic is why not start out with cleanest load possible.

Thanks in advance.

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Clay Dot--American made.

3. too fast

too fast TS Member

I have used both with good results. E-3 seems to have more recoil than International Clay which I still use. International Clays very clean powder. Just my two cents worth. Thanks Jim

4. extrapper84

extrapper84 Member

I have used Red Dot, 700x and now only load E3.

Did have a problem with metering, but was advised to remove the powder baffel,

WaLa! no more problem drops are now very close + or - 0.02g. plus it is the cleanest, and you can get 1200 fps out of 16.5g.

Hal

5. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Hey, thanks. I will check into the Int Clays vs. Clays. I have used Clay Dot and it seems like fine powder and will consider it again.

E3 is touted to be "the" cleanest. But I use a Spolar where the +/- is usually .1 grain. Not sure why E3 varies, but I honestly feel it does not meter as well as other powders. I use a silky smooth electric drive, and have gotten I feel anyway pretty consistent and smooth with it.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I have no idea why you are getting the variations you are with e3 powder. I use a manually operated Grand and the widest variation I get is .1 gr. E3 IMO is more consistent than Clay Dot, breaks targets better, and produces more smoke.

This is really spooky. STS hull, W209 primer, TGT-12 wad and 1oz West Coast magnum shot, 17gr e3, smoke, 17.6gr Clay Dot, pieces.

I bought the Clay Dot as a favor to a friend who had an excess. I'm going to save it for 7/8oz loads and go back to e3 for 1oz loads. E3 is just stupendous.

7. cabman

cabman TS Member

Used them both......e3 is substantially cleaner.

Cabman

8. oz

oz Active Member

I used a lot of clays and loved it. when I could not get clays I tried titewad. almost as good and $20 or more for 8# cheaper than clays.

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Consistent drops have never been Alliant powders best feature. Anyway, + or - a few .1 grs. means nothing for breaking targets. If you want even larger variations try 800X!!

10. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Both are good but E3 is cleaner and can handle pressure better. You also use a little less powder for the same velocity.

Alliant is on this powder game - X-Lite for 3/4 & 7/8 oz. loads, E3 for 7/8 & 1 oz., Green Dot for 1 1/8 oz. The performance is good to exceptional IMHO.

11. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Perhaps I'm overly skeptical but I don't think it's possible to get drops within 0.02 grains with any powder, my scale won't even show anything less than 0.1 grain.

12. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I have two RCBS digital scales, both only measure .1, .2, etc. Possibly a beam scale, but I don't think =/- .1 is a problem at all. .4 to .5 bothers me, and for whatever reason I get that variance with E3. I did load some Clay Dot recently, and only remember .2 variation.

13. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

14. C-Money

C-Money Member

I am using Clay Dot, works fine! I started using it a few years ago because I wanted a clean powder for my 11-87. Worked great!

15. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

16. bigben

bigben Active Member

Hi John Galt, get some IMR PB, load and measure, you will be a believer! incinerate em!

17. ironhead

ironhead Member

I swear by E3. I use it for everything 16 to 27 yards.

18. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

BeBop, that data came from the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook, 5th Edition.

Primers are always important. If the data doesn't come from a trusted, published source I do not use the load, and I certainly would not mention it to anyone else.

19. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Of course one should check a reloading manual but it is hard to get into trouble using 17gr of powder unless it is one of the new, fast "lite" powders.

20. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Well Bebop, like I said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.