1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

E3 Or American select

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Buckshot95, Jun 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buckshot95

Buckshot95 TS Member

I was wondering, does anyone prefer e3 or american select?

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I am happy with Red dot!

3. ironhead

ironhead Member

I'm very happy with E3

4. warren

warren Member

e3

warren

5. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I would be interested in some of your favorite E3 loads. Might be a good starting point for me, as I have thought about using this powder for some time. Note I always follow the manufacturer's published data as close as possible, but a starting point can be helpful. No need to reinvent the wheel.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I like and use them both. I use e3 for my 7/8 and 1 oz loads and think it the best available powder for those weights. I use Am Sel for 1 1/8 oz, because I think the felt recoil is a little softer. When I cannot get Am Sel I prefer Solo 1000, but will also use Green Dot.

Here are some of my favorite loads:

STS hull, STS209 primer, 15.5gr e3, Fed 12S0 wad, 7/8 oz WCM shot, 1200fps

STS hull, either STS209 or W209 primer (STS very slightly better), 17gr e3, TGT-12 wad, 1 oz WCM shot, 1200fps

STS hull, W209 primer, 18.5gr Am Sel, Fig-8 wad, 1 1/8 oz WCM shot, 1145pfs

7. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

Concur with ZZT........

STS hull, either STS209 or W209 primer (STS very slightly better), 17gr e3, TGT-12 wad, 1 oz WCM shot, 1200fps

My favorite!!!

8. WJN

WJN TS Member

I am on my second keg of E3 for my 7/8 oz. loads. Similar to ZZT and SDS but with Win primers and wads. Some of the club guys use the Alliant Extra-Lite and I am thinking about getting a keg of that for my light loads. Have Green Dot for heavy loads but I'm not using those much atm.

Jim

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Jim, Extra-Lite is a bulkier powder than e3, but not as bulky as hoped. I thought the idea was to provide enough bulk so that you could use a 1 oz wad (like the TGT-12) with light charges and still get a good crimp without adjusting your dies. It didn't work out that way. You have to use a lot with a 1 oz wad to get a good crimp, so your 7/8oz velocity is over 1250fps. If you use 7/8oz wads like the pink XXl or the WAA12L, you end up compressing the wad a lot.

I tried Extra-Lite when it first came out. It is a good powder, but e3 does a better job for 7/8 and 1oz loads IMO. E-L is now available in 1 lb bottles if you want to try some.

10. WJN

WJN TS Member

Thanks for the heads up zzt.

Jim

11. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Tom, you won't be disappointed with American Select. I have used it since it was introduced in the 90's. It is a great handicap powder and even does well with 7/8 oz. if you load it to 1300fps. At that speed it hammers the target with the second shot on International Trap. See you in a few months when you return to the Dollar. Have a great summer. Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.