1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

E3, any users, comments?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bazooka Joe, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

E3 looks like a good powder for year round use. Any comments on likes and dislikes.

Thanks, Rick

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Tom, there was a lot/formulation of e3 a while back that had clumping issues.

Alliant made some changes, and subsequent lots meter a lot better.

Rick, e3 is an excellent 1oz powder, and very clean, if that matters to you. If you are going to shoot full-strength handicap loads, there are better powders.

Bob

3. rrose

rrose TS Member

Rick
    I have only been shooting trap for about 6 years but I have used E3 now for the last 3 exclusively and have never had any problems with it. It meters very well, is more consistent in all weather and burns cleaner than anything else I used, clays, red dot, green dot, nitro, 700,
    I think you will find that most people like it a lot and it does use less powder per shell so it is not as expensive as it might seem by the pound price.

randy

4. cfchief

cfchief Member

Rick e3 meters great far more consistant than anything ive ever used i load 17.4 in 1 and 1 and8th loads chief

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

$15/keg more than Promo.

6. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I found E3 to be very consistent at low temp. One of the first loads I tried was a near-max one ounce load. Alliant published the following:

Hull: STS
    Shot: 1 oz
    Velocity: 1290 fps
    Primer: R209P
    Wad: Rem TGT 12
    Powder: E3
    Chg Wt: 19.0 grains
    Pressure: 10,850 psi

I loaded 8 rounds with handweighed charges of 18.50 grains and chronoed 1332 fps, es=32, sd=11. I don't have a use for that snappy load but I was pleased that E3 could deliver it and very happy with the consistency.

I've seen people ask about the cold weather consistency of E3 and the usual answer is that it "seems fine." That's been my experience, too. Recently I decided to test the above load (18.50 grains) at low temperature. I use mainly the Claybuster version of the TGT but on occasion when it's unavailable I've used the real deal, too. Over the years people have hinted at the possibility that non-OEM wads and their plastics might contribute to cold weather bloopers, so I decided to use the wad as a variable, too. I've never noticed any difference but I thought I could compare the 2 wads at the 2 temperatures at the same time without confounding the results....

[​IMG]

Note how the 3ft instrumental velocity averages compare to the test of a year ago. Not only do I find the velocity drop is negligible, but there's virtually no difference between the wads in this experiment at normal and low temps.

Basically, 1340 fps @ 70 degrees and 1322 fps @ 15 degrees.Nobody is going to detect a 15-20 fps drop in velocity. All in all, a very robust recipe.

Just for the heck of it, I combined all 32 data points for the 4 different loads and found the average velocity was 1331 fps with sd=15. That's pretty impressive performance in my book.

7. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

I have been using E3 since it came out in, 7/8...1..& 1 1/8 oz. loads in tapered hulls. I really like it. I shoot it all year long and have had no problems with it.

Vern

8. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

7/8 & 1 oz. @ 18.5 grs. - great performance, approx. 1325fps. & 1300fps. respectively. Have tried most all the powders for 7/8 & 1 oz. loads and for consistency, performance and clean burning, E3.

9. undersluice

undersluice Member

I have been using it for my singles for almost an year now. I like it. It meters well, burns clean, requires very less charge and produces very tight patterns.

My Receipe : 1oz 8# shot + Spolar Wad (1 oz - 4 petal) + 16.3 Grains E3 + STS Hull + Rem209 primer

~JB

10. PULL PULL

PULL PULL Member

19 GRAINS? Try 16.5 all winchester components. Look in the reloading manual.Use your scale. This is a very pleasent 16 yard one ounce load.

11. shrek

shrek Active Member

I tried E3 two different times in the past 5 or 6 years and both times I had troubles with uniform drops, had very similar problems to those described by Tom H above, so I have not fooled with it since

12. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

Thanks for all the information.
    Rick

13. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

Thanks for all the information.
    Rick

14. warren

warren Member

Been using it for about 7 years tried others but always come back to e3 plan to keep on using it. FYI it matches redot in grain size and weight.

warren

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.