1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

e3 alliant powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blacklab, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blacklab

blacklab Member

I am interested in hearing from people who have tried this powder for 7/8 oz. loads.

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

e3 is a pretty unique & interesting powder in several ways: the one that stuck me the most was that once you get the components worked out, your drop can be the same for 24gm-7/8, 1oz and 1-1/8oz. :)

It's an excellent 7/8oz powder, to answer your question. It meters well, burns clean enough and it doesn't take much of it to go as fast as you wish.

Back to my 1st point, if you use ballistically similar wads & identical primers, you can standardize your shells, just by changing the shot thimbles: 1300fps 7/8, 1220fps 1oz and 1140fps 1-1/8oz using the same 18?gn.

It's like dropping 24gn of PB in that respect - it does not get pressury very quickly - but you use less of e3, and it is cheaper than PB, anyhow.

Bob

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It seems to have a lot of static?

4. blacklab

blacklab Member

I have been using Int. Clays for years, but has become expenseive and hard to get. By using e3, I can save about $.25/box. That adds up fast.

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

You can shoot plenty of 7/8 loads with Promo and get your costs down even further. Promo works fine, too, but aside from the savings, I think you'll like e3, anyhow.

Bob

6. Jetdr

Jetdr TS Member

super clean...great for an autoloader!! Jetdr

7. shrek

shrek Active Member

I never could get it to meter very uniform.

Had too many light drops on the two different lot numbers of it I tried.

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I am on my 5th or 6th 8# jug of E3 and I really like it for my 11/87 ans 1100 TB Trap using 1 oz loads. I shoot year around with winter temps into the 20's. I selected E3 over Red Dot and Promo as I believe that E# works well in cold weather.

For 16 yards, I load 16.5 grains of E3 in a STS hull with the TGT12 wad, 1 oz of magnum 8's and Remington 209P primer. The load is very soft and always cycles the 11/87. Last year, I substituted the Cheddite 209 for the STS 209 during the primer shortage and those shells also worked very well.

I clean my 11/87 after every 400-500 rounds. As I also shoot a lot of Green Dot for 1 1/8 oz handicap loads, I can't comment on how clean E3 is but it always works well.

Ed Ward

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Alliant acknowledged that they had some 'clumping' issues with e3 and American Select in older lots, but they insist the current lots meter better.

On the reloading board at SGW, that seems to be the consensus, also: that the current lots of e3 & AS are smoother and more uniform.

Bob

10. shrek

shrek Active Member

I did not have any problems with the American select that I bought a few years ago. I used up 16 pounds of that, and it ran through all the equipment very nicely. I think I still have about 2 flats of shells loaded with it.

The E3 on the other hand was very frustrating to try to work with at least in my experience. Maybe I had some of the earlier material, I know the bottles were purchased about two or three years apart.

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I have never loaded AS, but I think it is a superb 'Green Dot II' but the clumping & metering issues with both AS and e3 drove Alliant nuts for a while. It was worse and more widespread with e3 and more regionalized with AS.

Alliant slightly reformulated e3 to correct the clumping and an issue of being very smoky in cool, humid conditions, and was, apparently successful: they have had no complaints since lot 6, I think it was.

All powders work better with a fuller tube, and some are just more susceptible to 'issues' than others for both physical and chemical reasons.

e3 and Bullseye are about the only Alliant powders I use, and for different reasons, but I surely do like both of them.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
aliant e3 1oz loads

alliant e3 powder loads for trap

e3 powder review
will e3 powder meter the same as red dot