1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

E-mail to IL State Rep to address FOID gap

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Luckyman, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Here is my e-mail to my State Rep to address my FOID issue....BTW....I have my FOID!

Good morning Darlene!

I wanted to send you an e-mail to bring to your attention an issue regarding FOID validation and how it effects law abiding citizens that have FOID cards that are approved and in process or lost. As it stands by IL law today, there is no way a law officer/range master/guns shop owner etc. can validate if someone has a valid FOID and can posses firearms or ammunition in IL without actually seeing the physical card itself. You are probably asking so what? That's what the FOID is for isn't it? Well this is the issue I have with the current system and how it can easily be addressed.

If I lose my FOID or it expires before I get a new one I am technically breaking the law if I want to posses a firearm for hunting or shooting at my local trap club etc. during the time of replacement or during the period I don't physically have my card even though I am LEGALLY APPROVED to do so. We need a process in place we could validate APPROVED individuals if for some isolated reason they can't produce their new card due to reasons already mentioned.....An example of a solution could be the subject in question could produce the expired card that is in process and a cleared check from the state indicating they have been APPROVED and they are just waiting for their card or have a hotline number that already exists (You can literally call right now and find out where your FOID is in the process 217-782-7980) so an officer/rangemaster/FFL dealer could easily validate with a phone call and a cross reference to a DL number or SS# etc. that the subject in question is in fact legal....

There seems to be a gap from the time an individual is approved for a FOID to the time they actually receive their FOID card (I was approved on the 16th of December and didn't get my card until January 11th during that time it was illegal for me to posses my guns even though I was APPROVED for my FOID). This example in isolated cases can turn law abiding citizens into non-law abiding citizens as well as cause potential infringement on the 2nd Amendment rights of IL residents and I feel there should be something in place to protect that!

What do I need to do as a tax paying law abiding citizen to get this addressed? BTW....I have left several messages for you in these regards at your Naperville office as well as your Springfield office and would love to speak to you about this. Please feel free to call me at my office.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

In about three days you will receive a form letter thank you for taking an interest in the state and inviting you to tour the state capital in Springfield. Have a nice time. LOL

3. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

LEOs can check on the FOID status through the computer. However, when my FOID did not appear after the required 30 days and I contacted my state rep, (Crespo) who is anti-gun, he just made excuses for the State Police. I would not accept his poor explanation and when he called me personally, I invited him out to a trap range to meet the people and shoot on me, but he has yet to take advantage of the offer. Keep on your representatives.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You must be related to my ex-wife, she complained and I let her have her way, she still complained, hell we got divorced and she still complained and probably still does after over 20 years ... You stated on another thread that you got your FOID card so now your going to fix the State of Illinois or expect them to change things to accommidate you, get real ... I lived in Illinois for 47 years, you want changes, MOVE ... Send me some of that stuff your smoking, or drinking ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

WPT are you going to the grand this year?

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

partygirl,

I'm sure I have other plans ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.