1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

E-mail Programs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tammike, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tammike

tammike Member

Are most clubs using e-mail to send out programs now ? It only makes
    economic sense to me, do to the cost of postage and printing of flyers.
    Last year we were probably only getting about 15 to 30 percent of the shooters that were mailed a program.

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I ran the memberships and sent out shoot programs for a club.

If I had an email address all correspondence was made via email with appropriate attachments. Not only saved a bunch of money, but a great savings in time, as a job that almost no one wants to perform.

I would send out a hard copy to clubs in the region for posting on the clubs community board or I would have someone (or myself) hand deliver if I knew someone was going to be visiting the club.

By the way, make sure you convert it to PDF so all can open. Readers are free. A few free conversion programs can be found on the internet for converting word or other files to PDF.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Melba Gun Club - when the membership was 20 it did not make much difference. Last year we grew the membership to 79. I have email addresses for 40 or roughly 50% so they all got programs, the rest were mailed. We ask every new member if they have email when they join. A lot of our members do not even have a computer. The club is made up of a lot of good ole boy farmers who just do not want to get a PC. The cost savings even for the 50% is worth it. Running a club today is just a marketing job and without it, the club wont do near as well as with it. We developed a web page and email system last Jan and the results have been overwhelming. Lou M Pres

4. gordy h

gordy h Member

This was brought up at our last meeting, It's was said "You should be able to aford a stamp for the dues we pay" Our club uses both ways. 150 members. I like to have a printed program to sit and decide what to shoot and play in options,also to have close by as a reminder when and where. I keep all of my programs. Just my 2 cents
    Butch H

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Butch ... do you have a printer attached to your computer?

It is people like you that make it difficult to get volunteers to help out with club stuff!

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

ALL our shoot programs are emailed. I normally have about 150 shooters on our registered shoot list. At .44 per stamp, that equates to $66.00 in mailing for the lot. Add in the amount to have the programs printed, etc., and it runs the cost up to about $150.00 for the programs, stamps, etc. for each shoot we have. In the past, we have had as many as 5 registered shoots per year. By emailing the programs, instead of snail-mailing them, we save roughly $750 per year. Granted, that's not a lot of money, but, if you figure that amount in cases of targets at $7.00 per case, that's about 107 more cases of targets we can afford to buy. A gun club is a business, and, just like any other business, it is imparative to control your costs to keep that business alive and well ....... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. claybuster60

claybuster60 TS Member

Ontario Rod & Gun Club - Ontario NY - I have been secretary for the club for nearly 20 years. In those 20 years I have endeavored to keep the cost of mailings to as low as possible. I introduced a monthly newsletter so each member would be informed of club activities. At one time I used bulk mailing. Over time the cost was not justifiable for a monthly letter so it is now bi-monthly. As the evolution progressed we now request members for an e-mail address. Of course there are about 50% of our 230 members who do not have e-mail. So, about 100 newsletters are snail mailed while the others are e-mailed. I do all the work; I produce and edit the newsletter; I print it on a home copier (front and back to save paper); and I generate the mailing labels. IF I have everything ready I will take the "stuff" to the club to have members help assemble the 3 pages, apply the mailing labels and stamps. From there I will take the stuff to the post office and send them on their way. In addition to the newsletter I take the minuts for all the club meetings as well as take care of the memberships (receeiving the renewals and the applications and mailing out the membership cards). Plus, I help run the club programs - our Tuesday Night open trap shooting, open and close for the winter league we host, AND I am the "chief cook and bottle washer" for the events. Fortunately, there are some members who help and will shop for groceries and shooting supplies (targets and shells etc). I am blessed with a good wife who does not complain about my club activities. Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!!!!!

Billy P

8. gordy h

gordy h Member

I don't get it. Why do I make it hard to get help with club stuff?
    We have all volunteer help and proud to say lots of it here in Wi.
    Butch H

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Just curious Butch, are you a volunteer?? If so, good for you. If not, then you join the ranks of people who bitch and normally they are the same ones who do nothing. Like I say, if you help, God Bless you.

10. gordy h

gordy h Member

You bet I'm a volunteer,Board of Directors, Shooting officer,News letter manager, score keeper, grass cutter, and shoot organizer,classafier,casher, and what ever needs done for 2 clubs in north western Wi. Ive been a active shooter Both club and ATA for the last 46 years. I was not bitching just saying I prefer the printed program over the e mail. Good shooting Butch H

11. tammike

tammike Member

Thank you for all the comments. Like so many small clubs we are trying to survive. Same old , same old (to few people involved with the work to operate a non-profit)

thanks again, mike

12. tweety1

tweety1 Member

We have hard copies at the club for whoever wonders in can pick one up. I have several email addresses to send updates and upcoming events to the people I have email for. We send very little mail, mostly checks from a shoot that people didn't stay for the pay off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.