1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

E mail of the year

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

NOMINEE FOR "EMAIL OF THE YEAR"!

After being interviewed by the school administration, the prospective teacher said:
    'Let me see if I've got this right.
    'You want me to go into that room with all those kids, correct their disruptive behavior, observe them for signs of abuse, monitor their dress habits, censor their T-shirt messages, and instill in them a love for learning.
    'You want me to check their backpacks for weapons, wage war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases, and raise their sense of self esteem and personal pride.
    'You want me to teach them patriotism and good citizenship, sportsmanship and fair play, and how to register to vote, balance a checkbook, and apply for a job.
    'You want me to check their heads for lice, recognize signs of antisocial behavior, and make sure that they all pass the final exams.
    'You also want me to provide them with an equal education regardless of their handicaps, and communicate regularly with their parents in English, Spanish or any other language, by letter, telephone, newsletter, and report card.
    'You want me to do all this with a piece of chalk, a blackboard, a bulletin board, a few books, a big smile, and a starting salary that qualifies me for food stamps.
    'You want me to do all this and then you tell me: I CAN'T PRAY?

2. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

That's about the size of it. Sad huh? My daughter is teaching pre-kindergarden this year and just started last week. She has already had a run in with a parent who told their kid not to do what the teacher told them to do and that their kid could do anything they wanted to do. The kid is now looking for another school to attend. My daughter was unnerved by the confrontation though. It's a sad state where the teachers are not given the perameters they had when we were in school and discipline is out the window. Dan

3. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

"It's a sad state where the teachers are not given the perameters they had when we were in school and discipline is out the window. Dan"

Yes its a sad state of afairs, but should be stated:

Its a sad state where the teachers are not given the perametes (the 3 R's) they had when we were in school and discipline was in the form of a wooden paddle with holes drilled in it and was put to use!

4. DickG

DickG TS Member

When I was in Jr. High, my gym teacher (Mr. Spronz, an ex-marine) had two paddles.
    One was a really big one that took both hands to swing. The other was a amall paddle with several holes drilled into it. You had a choice. Big or small.

Trust me, you didn't want the little one.

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

And we are so scared for life for haven been given our just rewards!

6. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Isn't it amazing that those who have been "disciplined" are better behaving adults and better citizens???? Can't be a coorelation to this????

Dehaub, good for your daughter,,,,much more patience than most people....

7. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

No corporal punishment in Chicago Public Schools when I went, on the other hand, the Gym teachers were mostly former Marines who would "teach" you wrestling holds or boxing drills. And then my old man would find out- no paddle,just a razor strop, or my ma would use anything handy...I PRAYED IN PUBLIC SCHOOL!! LOL

Larry

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Hey Guys.......My shop teacher was Mr. Hill. Hell of a guy.

But, he had a big paddle with holes in it. If two guys got to messing around, they got to use it on each other.

If they both swatted hard they were alright. But if one swatted soft and the next guy swatted him hard, the soft swatter got another shot.

Don't know if it was "politically correct", but I do know it sure as hell worked.

If anyone knows a Mr. Hill who was a shop teacher, please let me know. I'd like to get in touch with him again. He was a shop teacher for me back around 1955-56, so he may not still be with us. Thanks!

Hauxfan!

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

So true. And, now a days when you discipline a child, you either have to put up with the parent's (helicopter parent's I called them), running defense for the kids, of their attorney.

Many a time I heard a parent say, "My child never lies." or "My child said he didn't do it." Ya, right!

We could handle the kids; the parents were the problem.

Damn glad to have retired from that part of my life.

10. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

This is the very reason that Im not teaching. I hold a bachelors degree in secondary education. Planned to coach baseball and teach biology. We have home schooled and private schooled our 4 boys with great results. They are all Christians, active in their youth groups, and know what Yes maam and no sir means. They arent perfect and like their dad, they are ALL BOY if you know what I mean. Our public schools are a mirror image of our population that has sold itself off in exchange for a spot on Uncle Sams Plantation. If you want it done right, you better not depend on your public schools. Our teachers are handicapped by the system and are generally overwhelmed as well as underpaid. God bless the ones who still try to do the best they can. God Bless America and God help us all. Todd

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Just teach them the Mmmm! Mmmn! Mmmm! song, and they'll fall into lockstep.

12. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I agree. Did a little substitute work a few years ago in high school to try and "give back to the kids". The kids WOULD NOT LISTEN at all and I was only a babysitter for them. They knew that and they tried to get away with EVERYTHING., The school would not back me up. It got to be a pain and decided I did not need the hassle. My shop teacher in 8th grade was like the others above and I had the same experiences. You only got the paddle once or maybe twice and then you really remember that you had to stay in line. His name was Rudy Rozank. He passed away a few years ago and I cried at the funeral. He did take me under his wing and helped me to be a better person.I thanked him for that but it was hard during those school times to understand what was happening. I appreciate it now. Motordoc

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I fondly remember the paddle.. as the "board of education".. We had the board.. or the belt.. I choose the board.. The belt.. with a poorly delivered swing hit your legs.. not your butt.. Damn did that hurt..

14. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

All through school !946-1959 , I can`t remember ever being hit or anyone else . In 7th grade a teacher grabbed a student for something and the student nailed the teacher right in the nose but he was just expelled . In high school when one teacher wanted to get his point across , he would grab your collar bone and squezze it . Funny thing about that is, he was cross-eyed and just thinking of it when he did his thing sort of took the pain away .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.