1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**E 3 **

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ismah, Aug 30, 2013.

1. ismah

ismah Member

Powder is scarce up here in the Pacific NW. Can't find Clays anywhere so I found and bought a pound bottle of Alliant E3. The Loading Data says I can drop 16.9 grains with a #29 bushing from my MEC 650. #29 drops 14.6 grains no matter how many times I tried it. Went to a #32 and its close enough. I've never shot E3. Specs sound OK. I'd appreciate some input.

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I haven't used E3 but, don't worry about bushing numbers or letters, weigh your throw a couple of times and record it for future reference.

The charts and amounts they show are just a ballpark reference.

Trust your scale over any chart.

Good luck

3. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

A 2.3 gr. discrepancy seems a lot. Trust your scale, but just to be sure... check it's accuracy with a "check weight".

I use a Sierra "Match" 55 gr bullet, (as I don't have a real set of check weights), and my scale is within 1/10 of a grain. It's good enough for me.

Also... initially check your powder throws every 100 shells or so. If everything is always the same, I'll go a little longer on the checks. Good Luck.

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

IMO MEC errs on the side of caution and the actual drop weight from a given bushing will always be less than the published weight.

Also, given that all powders have different densities from brand to brand and often between lot to lot, a 2 or 3 grain difference may be experienced.

Most reloaders simply go to a larger bushing to achieve the desired drop weight. If you want to be more exact, you can open up a bushing by reaming it out with a rat tail file to increase drop weight. To reduce drop weight, paint the inside with fingernail polish.

Bushings are inexpensive and I have several of the same numbers between 26 and 34 that I have altered for specific drop weights.

Always weigh your charges.

I used to use an adjustable charge bar and it worked OK. However, I find that the standard MEC bar works more smoothly in my 9000G. I take comfort in the fact that the bushing, once I have inserted it and weighed three sample drops, that my actual drops will be accurate.

Ed Ward

PS: Always watch to see that the charge bar travels all the way to the end to ensure that you get a proper drop of powder.

5. Mark Stacklin

Mark Stacklin Member

To answer your question e3 is great at 1200 fps or less above that and i prefer slower burning powders. You will find it to be very clean and good in cold weather also.

6. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

I, too, really like E3, and have been loading it literally since it was released years ago. I respectfully disagree with Mark in that E3 is good for 1200 and below. E3 was designed to be a high energy powder to be able to push faster velocities with less powder. I personally load my fast sporting clays loads with E3 at 1 oz. at a bit over 1300 fps with 19 gr of powder. This load patterns awesome and burns cleaner than any load or shell I've ever shot. Garrett

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I love e3 for 24g, 7/8oz, 1oz and selected 1/18oz loads. If god restricted me to only one powder in the universe for clays, it would be e3. Hopefully he would give me a rebate on the Clays, Int Clays, Univ Clays, PB, Am Select, Green Dot, Unique, Blue Dot, Herco, Tight Group and several others I happen to have on hand. I'm okay without a rebate on Red Dot.

8. ismah

ismah Member

Good input from you all. Thank you. I'm on my way to the range right now to give it a try.

9. jacksback

jacksback Active Member

I'm using the #32 bushing for 17.8grs E3 in my 7/8's oz loads -- AAHS hull, WW209 and DRXXL-Pink wad. Over my chrono, it's running 1300FPS. FWIW, my #31 throws 16.7grs. Finally, E3 does NOT meter very consistently for me, +/- maybe .4grs and why my plan is to finish up this jug and not buy any more. I finally have enough back supply of ClayDot which I prefer overall. But then these loads are busting targets just fine and the E3 is pretty dang clean...

10. undersluice

undersluice Member

I have been using E3 for over an year now for my singles load. 1 oz shot , 16.7 grains , all remington components. Turns the targets to smoke !

Very nice powder. Switched from clays.

Regards,
    JB

11. ismah

ismah Member

JACKSBACK: I don't get it. My MEC #32 Bushing is now dropping consistant loads of 16.6 grains of E3. I've tested my scale a half dozen times and its right on. Yours is dropping 17.8 ! What do think is the reason for this difference?

12. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Don't get hung up on differences between the bushing charts and yours and someone elses drops....they are what they are. That's why we check with a scale. And if your drops are consistent, you're good to go. Easy enough to make your own little chart for future reference.

Apart from that, E3 has been a bit mysterious. Without a doubt, different people at different times have experienced unacceptable variability with E3 drops. I was a fierce defender since I had a burned a couple of kegs without issue and it's a great 7/8-1 ounce powder. Then I started having problems. I eliminated the powder baffle I'd used for years and my problem went away.

Could have been coincidence since the best explanation I've heard, though not proven, is that it was bridging. Urban legend was that it was a problem with "early batches" and therefore lot dependent. Anyway, knock on wood, I've not had an issue for the last three 4lb jugs I've used.

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Ismah, all- lot numbers- of smokeless powder have different moister content. It is dried with ether before graphite is added. Always weigh every new can, or lot, of powder. Jacks might be using a different loader too. Single stage machines throw a heavier charge.

Wayne

14. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

There's also usually a difference between single stage (say 600Jr) and progressives (650 and up). The single stage will generally drop a bit heavier because the handle get's pulled about 5 times while the powder bushing is under the bottle.

15. mjsweims

mjsweims Member

I just ran a check last night because I got a new jug of E3. My #29 was dropping 16.3 gr. My #32 was dropping 18.5 gr.
    Jack