1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

e-3 reloading data

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by obsparky, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obsparky

obsparky Member

Anyone have any data on reloading e-3 powder. Have heard some good reports on this powder but NO data. I load AA and Gold medal hulls. HELP

2. perazzi03

perazzi03 TS Member

give more details on what your loading, speed,1oz,or more

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Mash the link.

4. obsparky

obsparky Member

Loading 3 dram 11/8 oz 1250 fps. have AA and federal gold medal hulls, win. 209 primers. Willing to change to any other primers except cheddite. Wads WWA12, and 12s3.

5. obsparky

obsparky Member

Alliant site shows nothing for the componets I have listed.

6. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Surely you have checked Alliant's web site for recommendations? Use ONLY their specs. I use e3 with great results...using Alliant specificaions.

WNCRob

7. Ted C.

Ted C. TS Member

obsparky.... I use Remington cases exclusively, but this may be of some use: For 12ga 1oz target loads I use e3 19.0 gr along with STS 209 primers, CB Lightning wads and 1oz Mag shot. These chrono (average 5 shot string) at 1310 fps @ 11,060 psi. They shoot excellent at the trap line, and burn cleaner than any load I have ever used.

8. obsparky

obsparky Member

What re your spec's?

9. perazzi03

perazzi03 TS Member

in my book you cant get a 1250 shell in the gold metal or the aa hull in the 11/8.1200fps is the fastest they show,unless you go down to a 1oz or 7/8

10. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

My issue was finding drop weight suggestions to start. I got this back from Ben if that helps with a starting point. If I remember correctly, these dropped very close, but I moved one bushing smaller.

Sent: Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:17:25 AM
    Subject: RE: Alliant Powder - Ask the Expert Form

Alliant e3 Powder
    Hornady bushing suggestions

#426 15.2 grs
    #432 15.5 grs
    #438 15.9 grs
    #444 16.3 grs
    #450 16.8 grs
    #459 17.6 grs
    #465 17.9 grs
    #471 18.3 grs
    #477 18.8 grs
    #480 19.2 grs

Thanks for your note.

Ben Amonette
    Technical Service Manager

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Sparky, e3 is NOT a good handicap powder. It is a great 1oz powder.

If you like the 'e-family' powders, go to AS or even 20/28 (aka e-4).

You'll be lot happier.

Bob

12. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

OBSPARKY:

There is no one powder that fulfills every desired load in any hull. That is why the powder manufactures offer different powders. Each offering from the same manufacturer has different burning rates and pressures.

In addition, tapered hulls like AA's and STS's have different powder requirements to achieve a given velocity as compared to straight walled hulls like Federal Gold Medal Plastic or the many European style hulls.

As you started this discussion with E3 to push 1 1/8 oz of shot 1250fps, you may want to check out the Alliant web site for Green Dot or Unique.

Green Dot in STS hulls with around 19 grains of powder or 19.5 grains of powder in a Gold Medal Plastic hull yields a very nice handicap load.

Ed Ward

13. obsparky

obsparky Member

Thanks to all who responded. I have a PW loader and think that a m bushing will give me 19.0 approx. the charge I am looking for. it seems to match the Hornaday #480 bushing.
    Thanks again

14. schneep

schneep Member

e3 is an excellant handicap powder and is a great 1 1/8 oz. load powder. If anyone thinks otherwise, they are not really looking into it.

15. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

schneep, it was I who said it, and I'll stay with the statement, but maybe qualify it just a taste.

e3 is a 'One Ounce' powder. It is Clean Red Dot, if you wish. There are 13-11 'one ounce' powders, all of which will make a perfectly safe 1180 1-1/8 load.

ALL of them tend to get real pressury, real quick at that point.

If one thinks of 'CAPS' loads as 1250 (and most of us do think exactly like that), there are another 13-22 powders that do 1250 at a lower pressure, and with more margin for error.

Better?

Bob

16. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

obsparky:

You may want to confirm your understanding with Ben at Alliant of a load of 19 grains of E3 in either a STS or a Gold Medal Plastic with 1 1/8 oz of shot.

The largest charge weight I found with 1 1/8 oz of shot of E3 was 18 grains in a Gold Medal Plastic hull and 17.9 grains in a STS hull. These loads provided 1200fps and upwards of 10,750 psi.

Loading 19 grains of E3 and 1 1/8 oz of shot in either a Federal Gold Medal plastic of STS hull may get you into a dangerous pressure level.

Also, please weigh your charges and be aware that a loader may sometimes drop a little less or a little more powder.

Ed Ward

17. schneep

schneep Member

Sorry Bob, but I am not here to argue, but e3 is not just a 1 oz. load powder.

Win AA Win 209 17 gr e3 RXP12 9970 psi 1200 fps

My favorite load
    Winn AA Win 209 16.2 gr. e3 DRXL 1 1/8 1 9900 psi 1145+fps

It is made for competition grade shooting as per the Alliant Site

I also use in my 1 oz loads, but it is a very well rounded powder and is more stable in all weather.

18. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

schneep, in a way you are exactly reinforcing my point(s).

I used quote marks around 'One Ounce' powder to make the term stand out - the same as I qualified that most of us think of CAPS loads in terms of 1250fps.

I agree that e3 is an outstanding and useful powder, within it's design specs, which is 7/8oz to LIGHT 1-1/8oz loads ... a 'One Ounce' powder.

There are a bunch of 'One Ounce' powders, and the common characteristic of RD, 700x, N100, Clays, CD ... is they get pressury real quick at the upper end of their design criteria.

The pressure slope begins to look like a hockey-stick, and as many good CAPS powders as there are, if you are going to shoot anything faster than your two described loads, there are choices of powders where .2gn overage does NOT put you over 12.000psi.

The 'pressury' point happens a lot sooner in the two most popular hulls: RemChester. Even though Alliant does not list it, there is plenty of headroom in a FGM (or any low-basewad MiscEuroTrash) hull to go to 1250fps.

'Best Practices' for reloading is to match the components to the game. If you like to shoot 1150fps for handicaps, e3 is as good as things get, regardless of the color of the hull.

Bob

19. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

I shoot sts hulls using 16 grns of e-3, tgt wads ,rem 209 primer with 1oz #8 loads and just hit 50 straight at 20 yd

20. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Twenty yeards isn't exactly long yardage.

When I am looking to build a handicap load, i am looking for something that will do the job at 24 yards to the 27 yard line.

ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.