1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

***E-3 LOAD FOR 7/8 OZ***

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bvr Tail, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a load for Alliant E-3 powder using 7/8 oz. of shot?

My friend wants to use up the E-3 he has. Is this too hot a powder for that light lead load?

Danny

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

E3 is one of the very best powders for 7/8 oz loads. Anywhere from 15.5 to 18 gr will work, depending on your velocity preference; WHICH YOU FAILED TO MENTION! Please be a bit more specific when asking for loads. Also, go to the Alliant website and download their reloading catalog for all the info you need. HTH - AndyH

3. crk

crk Member

Works very nice with the downrage XXL (hot pick) wads.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Alliants web site data is down, so hit link above to down load load data. There are several 7/8 loads in the most popular shells.

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

The best performing load I have used uses an STS hull, STS209 primer, 16gr e3, 12S0 wad and 7/8oz hard shot. It measures 1220fps with an SD of 9 through a .018" choke at 65 degrees and 50% humidity. It literally vaporizes targets, burns clean and recoils little.

Substituting a DRM XXL pink wad for the 12S0 doubles the SD and produces noticeably weaker hits, even though the velocity is the same (1225fps). If you want to use this wad, you need more velocity to make it work.

6. Bvr Tail

Thanks Mac for the link!

Andy,

This isn't for me. This is for an elderly shooter wanting to try to make a softer shooting load with 7/8 oz. He bought 8 lb of e-3 a while back, and wanted to use it if possible. I don't know what velocity he is trying to achieve, or if that was ever a factor. The Alliant website was down on wed. when I tried.

He was told e-3 loaded like red dot. I could not confirm this for him, so I just thought I would ask someone who might have had the experience. Sorry I didn't know all the information, but I can't read his mind.

Thanks to all who responded

Danny

7. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

E3 is good in 7/8. I have shot the same load as ZZT, 16.0 gr but I was using aa hulls with win gray wads.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Danny, e3 most definitely does not load like Red Dot. It is a touch faster. Please tell your friend to use e3 data. On the same Alliant data page you would normally select loads from there is a link t download their new loading catalog in PDF. In case you cannot, here is what it says for the components I listed in my earlier post.

e3: 15.5gr, 1200pfs, 8015psi
    17gr, 1250fps, 7575psi
    17.8gr, 1300fps, 10245psi

BTW, this isn't a typo. You would expect the pressure to be higher in the lighter load because the wad bottoms against the curve in the base of the hull, not against the powder.

9. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

I've loaded tons of them with about 16.4. Just blows them targets apart!

10. Bvr Tail

Thanks to all, I'll pass this along.

Good Shooting

Ddanny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.