1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

E-15 rammed thru

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by 635 G, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Active Member

Looks like over the summer all gas will be diluted from 10% ethanol to 15% ethanol. I believe very few cars are designed to run on this crap, mileage will suffer and engines will be damaged. Obama's EPA at work.

Phil Berkowitz
  2. Catpower

Catpower Well-Known Member

Phil not only have they screwed us on that, a few months ago the EPA prematurely capped the production of R22 the refrigerant that most a/c units use, the price quadrupled in a week and they say there is going to be a shortage this summer

Glad I bought 10,000 lbs in 2007, still have about 4000 left
  3. timberfaller

timberfaller Active Member

The government doesn't fix problems, they create problems!!!

The facts are out already, and ethanol should be banned from use in Automobiles.
  4. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

I can still get straght gasoline where I'm at - it does cost more but you get better milage. Nice to at least have a choice. The real rub about ehthanol is most of us are paying for it even if we don't use it.
  5. RickN

RickN Active Member

Lots of opinions about ethanol.

It's a good use for cheap corn but maybe not such a good use of $6.50 corn.

It's been great for farmers.
  6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Most of the places that have been selling ethanol free fuel will no longer have it by the end of May unless they are able to purchase the whole truck load. This is what I was told by a friend that no longer carries ethanol free fuel due to this. He stated that they can't mix fuel on trucks any longer.

On the bright side, the price of corn is coming down. A friend bought 60,000 bushels at $4.50 a bushel and bought the same amount of new corn at the same price. His forcasters say that due to a glut this year corn will drop to $3.75 a bushel. Jackie B.
  7. X2 fan

X2 fan Member

Wonderful. Now we'll all get even worse mileage! 5% worse to be exact!
    STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!

Tim
  8. bill kindred

bill kindred Active Member

Does that mean since my old ford taurus got 10% better mileage with straight unleaded over E-10 that it will get 15% better than with E-15?
  9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Active Member

Once again, no vote by congress. Just leaving changes such as this with unelected people who mostly likely never worked in private business outside of fast food when going through school.
  10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Active Member

Now you know how the Whalers felt when oil was discovered.....Damn technology!!
  11. dhip

dhip Active Member

There goes 2 cycle outboards,they cannot run on 15% ethonol

Doug H.
  12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Is premium fuel affected? I can still get ethanol free premium here, and the cost breaks even with ethanoled regular because the mileage goes up.
  13. X2 fan

X2 fan Member

I had better be able to still get premium ethanol-free for the simple fact that any ethanol will destroy my lawn mower and snow blower engines.

Tim
  14. likes-to-shoot

X2fan........I don't know what brand of Lawn mower and Snow blower you nave but the ones I own have run just fine on ethanol fuel.

Of course I haven't checked my feet per tank to see if its gone down with the ethanol blend.
  15. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Does anyone remember the "Corn Husker Kickback" having to do with obamacare?
  16. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Likestoshoot. Any rubber part IE gaskets will succumb to ethanol, it's just a matter of time. My small boat with a 40hp Merc had to be repaired already as I didn't know ethanol would do this at first. Even the primer bulb turned to goo. I was advised that using the new Stabil will protect against the Ethanol. I had been using the red stabil as it was sometimes months before I used my 4 wheelers and some boats as the regular fuel would loose it kick in 90 days without some additives. Ethanol is such a waste. It costs so much to produce and the govt is hopeing that they can prop the farmers up with corn productions. Forcasters say that so many people are growing corn this year that the market will be flooded and prices will drop to a 10 year low. Jackie B.
  17. likes-to-shoot

Jackie B.....I've used ethanol blends since it came out years ago and have yet to have ANY rubber or any thing else turn to goo. I've used it in new cars and old cars, motorcycles, boat motors, lawn mowers, snow blowers, weed eaters, power washers, chain saws and anything else that uses gasoline. Maybe they make it different in other parts of the country.

I will agree that making ethanol cost more than what it saves.
  18. Catpower

Catpower Well-Known Member

I know that the record acreage has been planted this year, but if the price drops like they say, the midwest is really going to be in trouble, in NW Iowa there has been land sold for farming for right at $20,000 per acre, that was the highest I've heard, but $10,000 is the new norm, history is repeating itself, same thing happened in the late 70's early 80's

Seems agribusiness is the only thing making money these days, and it looks like it will go down the tubes
  19. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Here in Ohio it's supposed to be 10%, but tested by ind. labs it's all over the place. Some as high as 15%.

My old Lawn Boy sure doesn't like it.

If you drive an older car and need a mechanical pump, better ask if it's compatible with alcohol usage. Lot of new parts are NOS and are not.

Regards....Gerald
  20. Whack 'em

Whack 'em Member

Just to clear up a bit of misinformation, the EPA ruling said that E-15 is safe for all 2001 cars and light duty trucks only, but there is a long way to go before E-15 can be legally be sold as "normal" gasoline.

First, EPA must approve a "misfueling mitigation plan" outlining how E-15 dispensing pumps would be labled so as to prevent drivers from mistakenly putting it into older vehicles. I assume at some point this will be worked out, but one has to question how many gas stations will then actually opt to sell E-15 in the near future because of the high cost of upgrading pumps/fuel tanks. Most pumps today are only capable of dispensing two or three grades of gas, and different cars are still going to require different octane levels. If a station wanted to sell E-10 in low, mid and premium octane levels (for older vehicles) in addition to E-15 in the same octane levels, new types of pumps are going to have to be purchased that are capable of blending in the varying levels of ethanol or that can draw from six separate sources. Or certain islands (at larger gas stations) will cater to E-10 buyers with others supplying E-15.

Bottom line is that E-15 is NOT being "rammed thru". While the EPA has said E-15 won't damage newer vehicles, no laws/policies have been enacted requiring use of E-15 (and in fact EPA has said it CAN damage older vehicles so it will be a long time before E-10 will go away).

I have no problem with ethanol as an additive to gasoline... would you rather your money go to Arab or South American dictators or to hard working AMERICAN farmers and ethanol producers? Ethanol is no longer subsidized (the blenders credit expired 12/31/11), and the market price of ethanol is now approximately $2.30/gallon here in MN while gasoline is approx. $3.16/gallon (prices before taxes added in). Ethanol can compete on a stand alone basis with gas at current oil price levels (which aren't likely to go down significantly long term). We NEED some ethanol in gasoline as an oxygenate - ethanol replaced MTBE which is not longer added to gas because it causes cancer.

So many people seem to be virulently opposed to ethanol, and I have to believe that much of this perspective is fostered by the Oil Companies who have a vested interest in opposing ethanol. Why WOULD oil companies want to sell ethanol if they didn't have to? After all, they are vertically integrated, they invest in oil fields/pump the oil/refine it/sell the gas... they hate ethanol, they're rather sell their own products. But just because big oil doesn't like ethanol doesn't mean that it's a terrible thing that hard working American farmers have a profitable new market for their crops. Agriculture is one of the few bright areas in our faltering economy (thanks in a large part to ethanol), I fail to comprehend why folks find this to be a so bad.

As to concerns about lawnmowers/boats/engines that may not be compatible with gasoline with any amount of ethanol blended in, gas stations around here still sell gasoline with zero ethanol blended in.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.