1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dust in the wind

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by deking00, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deking00

deking00 Member

MIA offers good advice. You have to shoot them where they are not where they should be!

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not change anything. But, at times the wind will change my scores. With the wind blowing targets up, I used to try to shoot faster and higher, but then it seems that a few targets would go low. For me, a tail wind is best, a head wing is not too good and a cross wind is the worst.

If I see the target well, my gun will usually go to the bird. But,I also have an automatic height move to targets (muscle memory)that can really get messed up in the wind. Shooting doubles in the wind is difficult for me.

Pat Ireland

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Watch the squad that's shooting before your squad and see what the targets are doing. HMB

4. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I shoot a lot in Central Montana and 10 to 15 MPH winds are normal and 35 to 45 are not uncommon shooting conditions. I do not usually change my gun position but I do change where I look for the bird in hard focus. I usually watch the squad before me and get a general pattern then look for them and shoot em where they are at.
    Head Down and Keep Swinging

5. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

The only thing you gotta look for is wind direction. If it's coming behind you, chances are the birds will be a bit flat. If you hold a high gun, you may need to lower your hold point. Otherwise, don't do anything different. Wind in your face could drive the targets up. Keep your eye(s) on the bird and follow it. MIA is right. Shoot 'em where they fly.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Rodeo254, just shoot em.. As for 10 to 15 mph winds, that is common in the central US and here in Kansas you may never fire a shot if not willing to. Last year at the Kansas State Shoot we shot with gusts exceeding 60 mph. Not many to my knowledge scratched. The important thing is that you don't start changing your routine such as shooting faster, heavy loads instead of light, etc. Look for the target-see target-move to the target-break the target.

7. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

The wind is my friend.

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Partygirl has the right attitude.

Sometimes I will wear a light shooting jacket.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Shoot fast. However, the old trapshooter saying goes a long way; " Wind in your face, close your case."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.