1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dust Around A Target

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jon Reitz, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

We've all seen dust come off clay targets from time to time, particularly when the sun hits it just right. These are scored as "LOST", but what is it? Fire away Ed & dawg...

Jon Reitz

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

When only one or 2 pellets hit the bird and go through without fracturing the target you see the dust.

Yes, it's lost. You need a visible piece and dust doesn't count.

If the pellet hits the rim sometimes it will fracture the target because of the spin.

Center hits make smoke. Hit them with the center of the pattern.

HM

3. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

the shot rakes the bird but doesn't break it,happens in winter alot with frozen targets. Unless you see paint-it's not broke

4. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Jon, we've all seen this and we all agree that "dust" really is microscopic chips, but unless it is a visible, discernable (SP?) piece (what I call a fingernail size or so), then it is LOST. Mike* (MH*)

5. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

Jon, I think they may be old targets and it is mold that is coming off of them.

Have a good day, it is going to be sunny and 78 deg here in SC today.

Ron Burdick

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Try bio targets. Big puffs of smoke, no pieces. Check some out on the ground, lots of holes but no pieces missing.

7. Jon Reitz

RBurr,

78 and sunny huh? Rub it in. 33 and cold here, but on my way to club anyway.

Jon

8. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

It's lost. If you look close you will see a few targets every round that are only dusted.

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I notice that the ATA rules don't specify how big the pieces have to be before they cease being "dust" and qualify as "pieces". Dust is obviously solid material, although very small, and if it can be seen with the eye shouldn't it qualify as pieces?

I've been to any number of ATA shoots where the targets are scored as "dead" if they simply make a noticeable change of direction when hit, even if no pieces, parts or dust come off.

MK

10. jhoward

jhoward Member

Maybe next time I roll dust off a target I'll try to convince the scorer that I completely smoked a very small portion of the target and what was left was just a piece, albeit a big one.

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I bet that they're Federal targets. Just plain bullet proof!

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I think ATA could clarify the rule easily if they would specify that the "piece" has to retain the color of the target (i.e. orange/black target, orange or black piece), but don't tell them.

MK

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Squibb, you've never seen a "bushwhacker" where a guy smokes a fingernail size piece of target broken by the previous shooter? It does happen and often in that game!

Hap

ATA rules say, a visable peice must be seen as broken and not dusted.

14. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

Phil Kiner will tell you that "dust" is actually your shot. When I took a class from him several years ago, he proved that it was shot by replaying video in slow motion. The "dust" was quite clearly one's shot. I would suggest that further questions on this subject be addressed to Phil. I'm sure he has more experience and insight than any of us. Bob K

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I have seen a target get dusted and moved by the shot's impact and fly to the ground unbroken to the soft grass. When we went out to look at the target, clearly visible from the 16 yard line, and it had a been hit by shot 7 times. Just a bad luck for the shooter. It happened a lot on the targets the last time Remington supplied them at the Grand.

16. Jon Reitz

flybyknight and Barry,

That's kind of where I was going with this, trying to determine if the target was actually hit, or if it's just the shot string passing by in a close proximity. Like Barry, I've seen dusted targets that I've gone and picked up whole, but with one or more holes thru them, so I'm not sure.

JR

17. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Dust is caused by trap shooters who insist on using 8's instead of 7 1/2's.

18. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I don't really mean that. I used 8 1/2 shot the other day with an improved cylinder choke from the 16 yard ling to see how it would work. It worked great.

19. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I bet you hit it dead center...probably a blown pattern...RIGHT ?

20. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Old boy at our club says "If you can't hit it any harder than that, you don't deserve it." Great point, learn where your gun is shooting and center the target. Phil says "choke for smoke"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.