1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Durability Problems with Beretta 3901-RL Barrel?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Harold 3200, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harold 3200

Harold 3200 TS Member

I recently purchased a Beretta 3901 Target RL for my grandson to begin trapshooting. Upon receipt, a rather serious abrasion was found on the barrel, with the matte-black coating (I don't think this barrel is really blued) worn through to the bare metal. I called the dealer from whom I purchased the gun (VERY reputable, BTW) and he looked into it. He looked at three others he had in stock, and they all had the same defect. He then called Beretta USA. According to him, they checked all their stock of this model, and THEY all had the same defect, which was caused by a missing pad on an alignment-checking jig. I was told that my grandson should go ahead and shoot the gun, and I would be shipped a new barrel as soon as he received it from Beretta. I received the new barrel today, and IT has several scratches in the matte-black finish, down to the metal.

I am now beginning to seriously question the durability of whatever this finish is. My grandson loves the gun, and it is super soft on recoil, which is what I wanted for a beginning shooter. Moreover, he can really HIT with it.

Any opinions out there on the durability of this matte-black barrel finish? BTW, the barrel is made in Turkey by Stoeger, with the gun being a Made in USA Beretta. My grandson takes great care of his equipment and takes great pride in keeping his things, particularly guns, in pristine condition and appearance. If this barrel lacks durability, I'd sure like to know it now, so we can change guns if we need to...although I know he won't WANT to.

Any comments would be appreciated, either on the post or by direct e-mail. Thanks.

Harold 3200

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

My daughter has been using hers for 4 years now for everything from informal skeet and trap to turkey and deer hunting. Other than being a pain in the butt to clean compared to other brands of auto loaders it has performed perfectly. It has several scratches now and I could not say when they were caused but none of them affects the performance or the durability of the gun.

As you said you know your grandson loves the gun and would not want to get rid of it. Based on that and the fact that you make NO mention of any real problems with the gun I would suggest that you not let a mere cosmetic blemish cause you to separate the two.

--- Chip King ---

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If it's a field gun (and it is) I wouldn't worry unless the rib falls off. If used for its intended purpose it's going to get wear on the finish anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta 3901 barrel
beretta 3901 durablity

coating a 3901 barrel