1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dupont Krytox

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Jul 31, 2013.

1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Had a tube of Dupont Krytox, in my tool box for a few years. Tried it the other day---all I can say it puts the Super Lube I've been using to shame. The slickest stuff ever. Non Staining. Only negative is the cost. $30./ 5 oz.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recommendation Phil and Keller! Reading the specs at the DuPont website seem to show that this would be a good fit as a gun lube. $30 for a tube that would last for YEARS is a pretty reasonable investment if it works. I have been using Militech-1 grease (also expensive) but I wouldn't mind trying something new.

3. EdSy

EdSy Active Member

Think about it - in many gun related applications, the grease should be wiped off and replaced frequently as it picks up abrasive particles from the surroundings. So, high qulaity, long lasting grease has its place, but is not needed everywhere. If cost is not an issue, great. But for many of us, a $5 tub of good old "axle grease" is all that's needed. -Ed

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Not arguing with the quality of Krytox - great for 'one and done' lubrication (think deep inside and engine or for something going into space), but when I can buy a one pound tub of SuperLube for about $10, which contains the same PTFE as Krytox I gotta ask is it REALLY worth the extra $$$?

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Keeler,

Got to ask - PTFE has the second or third lowest coefficient of friction of known compounds - how is it the 'least slippery component?'

From my understanding it is the use of perfluoroalkylether (polyhexafluoropropylene oxide) that allows the solid form of PTFE be used as a liquid (oil) or 'semi solid' (grease). The PTFE provides the slip while the polyhexafluoropropylene oxide allows for density adjustment.

Do you know something I don't??

6. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Here is a link to the product overview booklet. It appears to be PFPE based and it specifically says they use PTFE as a thickener. The major claims are that it is extremely stable at temperature and pressure and compatible with many different kinds of plastic. It was also invented in 1959, commonly used in aerospace and space vehicles...so this is not something new.

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

" Krytox® oils are made from only fluorine, carbon, and oxygen — a mixture of compounds collectively known by many names — including perfluoropolyether (PFPE)"

Sounds like Krytox -IS- PFPE

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Johnny,

as you say - 'collectively known by many names' - perfluoropolyether (PFPE), perfluoroalkylether (PFAE) and perfluoropolyalkylether (PFPAE).

As I understand, Krytox was developed by DuPont to give oil and/or grease forms of PTFE (which is better known for it solid form - Teflon) - a VERY slippery substance.

The one grew out of the other.

Search tags for this page

air gun krytox gpl205

dupont krytox gpl205

krytox firearm