1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

DuPont Hi Skor 700X

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by soup, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soup

soup Member

FELLOW SHOOTERS ,

I just came across a 12 lb. keg of DuPont 700X -never opened & was wondering if anyone is using it for 1 1/8 singles loads . I called Hodgdon and they gave me an 1150fps load ; Rem hull-16 grns 700x -Rem 209- Blue Duster ( WWA12 substitute ) 1 1/8 ounce shot . Also told me I could go to 1200 fps at 17.5 grains . I would prefer to stay at 1150 .

If anyone shoots this load I'm wondering how it fits in the hull -do you get a nice crimp ? I load on a PW 800Plus .

Thank you in advacne for your time and help .

SOUP
  2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Just finished off a 8lb keg, works great, crimps nice out of a MEC.

Last month, dropped down to 1 oz loads. Works great also.

Use clay buster wads.
  3. Ross

Ross Active Member

You'll love it, very consistent, use a medium strength primer- your wad is good or the fig.8- you are smart 1150 is plenty fast enough,,-700X is in the fast burning range so don't try to get any super-duper loads as it reaches max pressures quickly. If you want much over 1200fps there are better powder choices--ie PB--7625--Green Dot--International Clays etc. I shot it for many years until Hodgden (sp) bought them after that it got a little bit too pricey for me. Enjoy --Ross Puls

Edit-- After reading some replies after my original post I have to make further comments, I did try Clays (8#s) of it not a good experience--E3 was OK--Red Dot OK, better (cleaner) than it was 40 yrs ago--Green Dot OK--PB very nice but pricey--currently trying Promo satisfied so far. I only shoot a 7\8oz. load, occasionally a 1 oz. @ 1150 to 1180, so I do stay in the faster burning range of powders. Rem. primer-- STS hulls TGT or pink AA CB clone with tight choke, fringe area is kinda thin but get good breaks if I do my part.
  4. soup

soup Member

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Great powder. I would watch the pressures on the 1200 fps loads. They can get up there in some of the published data. For 1150 fps in most tapered hulls, it's hard to beat. It does a little better, pressure wise, in straight wall higher capacity hulls. I still have a couple of the metal 12lb kegs on hand. I've been using more Promo these days. I used Red Dot and 700X way back when I started reloading shotshells over 40 years ago.
  6. soup

soup Member

7. esetter

esetter Active Member

Been using it in Winchester old style AA hulls with one oz. of shot, claybuster one oz wad for years. Love it! If you write me I'll get the load for you.
  8. plaw

plaw Member

probably one of the best cold weather powders there is..
  9. soup

soup Member

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Active Member

Boy, back in "the day," it was filthy dirty and talk about smoke! Any time there was no breeze, you could tell the 700X shooters real easily. I remember one very calm, humid night when there were three of us 700X-ers on a squad and we had to stop shooting twice per trap to allow the cloud to dissipate from under the lights. Everyone kidded us about using black powder.

I actually used to find small hunks of wood in it. Clays powder was the best thing that ever happened to 700X but I understand the newer stuff is much cleaner and less smoky.

Ed
  11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Well-Known Member

Ed nailed this one. Kicks like a mule, smokes like black powder and dropped inconsistently too. I gave it the boot many years ago!!
  12. JerryP

JerryP TS Member

Ed, I used 700x back in the 80's and '90's in pistols because it was clean burning. The old Red Dot was "filthy dirty." I suppose every thing is dirty compared to Clays. 700X does smoke though, I stopped using it for shotgun shells because of the smoke.

Ollie, If you think 700X "kicks like a mule" you are a prime candidate for Neil Winston's "blind" shotshell recoil test. You will fail, of course.
  13. soup

soup Member

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

Wish they still did make the 12 pound keg.