1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dupont 800X

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by argus tuft, Jul 29, 2013.

1. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

I have just been given a tub of Dupont 800X , does anyone have loading data for this powder, I have tried the web and cant find anything, the manual I have is 1975/76 and it does not list 800X, can it be used for sub gauges as well as 12 gauge, is there anywhere I can find full data

Regards

Argus

2. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Dupont should be the same as IMR and that reloading information is available through Hogdon Powders website. Slightly dirty, but a very versatile powder with low pressure. I know it loads for 12 and 28 and would presume 20 gauge as well. Don't know about .410????

3. C-Money

C-Money Member

I have some 800x that I bought on a good price. I loaded up a box to try, and it broke targets just fine! Soft recoil. Pretty dirty though, more unburned powder in barrel than with other powders I have used. I would not have any issue using up what I have someday when needed.

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

If loading with a single stage ,no problems. It does not meter well in progressive loaders due to the large flakes,very inconsistant. Jeff

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Awful for trap-speed reloads. Just awful.

Fertilizes tasty tomatoes, though.

My first clue that Don Zutz' articles had to taken with a shaker of salt. I bought 12 pounds on his Shooting Trap/Shotgun Sports (two article) recommendation and got burned for a c-note or more. I should have sent him a bill! But as I say the tomatoes offered interesting sulfur, charcoal and saltpeter up front, with provocative nitroglycerine notes on the palate. Add an appealing flakiness and a smokey finish tinged with rue and burning money and you have 800-X.

Neil

6. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Argus; I used 800x for second shot on doubles, handicap shoots and anie ockleys. It is very soft shooting,slow burning and very good for those things.It is as dirty as 700x.If you cannot find proper loading data for it let me know on here.As I have factory book from way back.,may be 40 years old'

7. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

Thanks heaps, found the site and all the info I need

Regards

Argus

8. wm rike

wm rike Member

When it came out in the mid-late seventies it was billed as a 12 ga. target powder. It's not. Unless you use it for porch loads, it is dirty, loud (like blackpowder, it makes dogs bark), and ignition can be erratic.

Since it is a slow powder, it is better used for small gauges, but it is still dirty and loud. Too, the flakes are very large and it tends not to meter well through small powder bushings. Hmm. Maybe not that hot a sub-ga. powder, either.

Whatever you want to do, there are much better powders.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It's not dirty with 1 & 1/4 oz loads.

This powder was marketed wrong, and did'nt get much play around here after the first couple months.

HM

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I am using up on my handicap loads as 12# of it was given to me. It is dirty as heck, but seems to meter well enough when I check it. Soft shooter and a little loud. Not my first choice (PB) but certainly usable, at least in 1 1/8 ounce loads.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I disagree with most of the above, I use it a lot in 1 1/8th oz and 1 3/16ths oz loads,

Federal Gold Medal , Win 209 primer, 24grs @1200fps, 25.5 @1250fps,
    26grs 1 3/16ths @1300fps excellent 27 yard loads, last one I use for 27 yard Buddy Backup beautiful shooting.All using Windjammer wad.

If anybody wants to get rid of any I will take it as I am presently out of it.

Remington STS, NITRO,GC/Win 209/Windjammer/21 grs 1150fps/22 grs 1200 fps/23.5 grs 1250fps@8500psi. 25 grs 1 3/16ths 1300fps@9500psi use #6s for latter load.

AAs Win209/Windjammer/21.5 1150fps/22.5 1200fps/24.0grs 1250fps @7700psi.

This is a very versatile powder it leaves some residue/but who cares it does not hurt anything.

It does burn clean in the faster loads and 1 3/16ths loads.

I have used a lot of it 5 8 Pounders to date.

It is more dirty if used in an Auto.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

In talking to other re-loaders, 800X performs best under heavier loads, such 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 shot. I used it at one time for a pheasant hunting load -- 1 1/4 of #6. It performed well. Also, pot shooters like to use this powder. Fred

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Pretty good stuff for 1 3/8 Oz hunting loads. Just plain wrong for anything allowed on the trap field.

14. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

There are recipes for 1 oz of steel shot with 800X from BPI. Will be trying it soon. If you're interested in selling some, send me a private message.

Thanks,

Joe

15. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Best for a .45 ACP....As already noted, it doesn't meter well.

16. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

I'm not sure about the rest of you but 800X meters just fine through my Mec hydaulic. I use it for everything at a distance. If you use the right combo of components it burns clean and works for everything. A lot of shooters in my area use it. BYG

17. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

BYG - that reminds me of when our club had some loads tested. Tom Armbrust ran our tests and said that every powder has it's optimal load (grains of powder and shot). Above and below that optimum you will see powder residue and undesirable performance. This seems to be true for 800X, as it is for any powder.

Joe

18. mag410

mag410 Active Member

It is indeed a rare subject on which I disagree with Neil and agree with Gary.

800X is an excellent powder for several specific fast 1 1/8 oz loads and many heavy 12 gauge loads. It really shines with 20 and 28 gauge loads.

It does not meter well unless the press is manipulated in a smart and consistent manner.

I will be most happy to properly dispose of any for which you can not find a use.

Michael Goines

19. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

Great for 11/4 ounce & 13/8 hunting or Annie loads. You can load it for 11/8 but that's not where it performs its best.

20. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

$5 for a full can on craigslist today. Jw

Search tags for this page
does 800x burn clean

dupont 800x

dupont 800x gun powder

dupont 800x gunpowder

dupont 800x load data

imr 800-x 28 ga