1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

dupont 4756 powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rotwl72, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rotwl72

rotwl72 TS Member

anyone have a 1&18 load using 4756 powder.
    thank you for any help you can give me.
    Jack

2. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Jack: I used to load the heck out of it in my lead duck loads and when they went to steel I was stuck with 12 lbs of it.It is not meant for 1&1/8 oz loads in 12 gauge! 1&1/4 oz loads and up and 20 gauge is more like it.I did'nt think I could use 12 lbs for turkey loads so I sold it on this site to Wireguy.Good luck! PJ

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

They will be fast 1 1/8oz's, not trap load specs. Even then 4756 is more suited for heavier payload sitting atop for consistent ignition. Even then velocities will not be consistent especially in colder weather.

Depending on where you live, they are usually guys that are Annie shooters or their likes that will gladly trade you out of it with a more suitable target load powder. I will depending on your local.

4. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I have used a lot of it when I was shooting a lot of pot shoots with 1&1/4oz loads . Forget it with 1&1/8oz loads. Very fine powder and it is very bulky, meaning it takes up a lot of space in the hull, shorter wads required.

Pheasantmaster said it well. Trade it off.

Tom Strunk

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

It is not for your intended use. You do not haul a 35 foot trailer with a Geo metro. You are trying to haul that trailer by using 4756 for trap loads. Jeff

6. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

if im not mistaken iused thatpowder for 30 06 loads in the 70s

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

SR 4756

This fine grained, easy metering propellant has long been a favorite of upland and waterfowl handloaders. Top velocities with great patterns are legendary. Like 800-X, SR4756 performs extremely well in the big handgun cartridges. Always a top choice

From the IMR website. nothing listed for less than 1 1/4 shot.

8. 1ozreloader

1ozreloader TS Member

4756 is a rifle and large bore pistol powder. I loaded it for my .44 mag and .45 Long Colt and had great results. Am thinking you would be better off using a powder designed for shotguns

9. 410 JIM

410 JIM TS Member

You can load 1/2 ounce 410 loads in three inch hulls and get good velocity with 4756 and plenty of them with 12 pounds of it. Once that was a favorite dove load with #8 shot. For a 410 shooter that would be a lifetime supply of powder even if he or she were a teenage. non smoker, shooting three times a week.

10. superump

superump TS Member

Loved this powder when I loaded 1- 1/4 oz hunting loads but to hot for 1- 1/8 oz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dupont 4756 powder

dupont trap shooters