1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

duplicating 7/8 managed recoil STS loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BigM-Perazzi, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

these are 1100 fps 7/8 oz loads. Anyone have any luck duplicating these?

This is the wad they use.

Jim C

Big [​IMG] Perazzi!!!
    [​IMG]

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

That is a strange looking wad. One of the problems duplicating any factory load is that you cannot duplicate the smoothness of the inner case wall. This means that you will need to use more powder to generate the same velocity which will result in more recoil.

Jim Skeel

3. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

7/8 1,150 Rem 209P Extra-Lite CB 0178-12 15 6,580

7/8 1,150 Win 209 Extra-Lite Rem TGT 12 14.5 7,460

As close as you can get from the Alliant reloaders guide. 10Tenner

4. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

STS hull
    13.5 g Winchester AA Lite
    Win 209 primer
    CB 0178 wad

My wife and I have shot 5K of these. I went back to 1 oz until I run out of reclaimed shot, but would not hesitate to shoot them again.

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Try DRXXL with 7/8oz in Remington hull.. with Winchester or Fiocchi primer and 15.8 grains of Promo..

6. BigM-Perazzi

Thanks, the picture may be deceiving as the wad was cut by the shell cutter....

Jim

Big [​IMG] Perazzi!!!

( I just LOVE doing that!!)

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

looks like a rxp 12 wad, just modified a bit for a small shot cup ?

8. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Try a Rem 209P 16.2 of Clays & a Win Gray wad. These chrono a bit more than 1100 but are as low in recoil as I have found. If you want to have negative recoil & fall forward off the pad,try the following,STS hull,209P,gray wad,about 15 grains of Red Dot & 3/4 oz #9. Put a slice of 20 ga wad in the wad bottom.

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Jim.. Ballistic products sells a European wad that resembles the wad you posted.. Not that they are required..I've had excellent results with both the DRXXL and the CB4100 wad.. The Red Dot load I've used about forever.. When you go much lower than this.. I've found the sound to be often erratic..so.. I'd keep 15 grains as my floor and work up from there.. If pressures get to low.. in cold weather you'll have problems.. The new feather-lite powder from Alliant reads well..and it looks like they have managed to keep the pressure high enough for consistent shells at low velocities.. All Good.. Mike

10. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I have found with light loads that the DRXXL seems to have a large variation in report. The CB0178 seems quite consistant. My conclusion (maybe flawed) is that the CB feels quite a bit softer and may provide a better gas seal earlier in the igntion process.

The AA Lite burns well at low pressure. I use it because I could find data on the Hodgdon site that was 1100 fps and under.

Since I don't see 1100 fps loads listed for Red Dot, I have never tried it. 13.5 sure seems low. Does it burn clean at 1100 fps?

11. BigM-Perazzi

Thanks all. I have some DRXXL's around, so I think I'll play with those...

Jim

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I used the winchester gray wads when trying to duplicate the winchester low noise and recoil shells for my wife....how I got into reloading to start with

i use clays @ 15 grains in rem hull and rem 209 primer. not as soft as the winlite powder, which I cant find anymore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

managed recoil sts