1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Duplex loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by davidjayuden, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Does anyone use blended shot, as it maybe 7 1/2 mixed with 8 or 9, 50/50, in the same shell? Is #9 even legal or worth considering in trap? Just thinking outloud of ways to fill the pattern with lots of shot AND have some bigger stuff in there too.
    Of course after shooting re-claimed shot for the last 2 seasons I guess I already do shoot blended shot.
    dju

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

The best way to fill the holes in your pattern ... use a tighter choke!

3. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Some people shoot from the porch with "Kentucky nines".

Duplex loads of #4's and #5's. LOL

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

7 1/2 mixed with 8 or 9?

Been tried. If it was a big advantage, a lot of people would be doing it. But nobody does.

Yes, 9's are legal for trap. They work fine from 16. Not that many people use them.

7-1/2's, 8's, 8-1/2's, and 9's all work fine from 16.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There are no two shells exactly alike so therefore to expect to ever dulicate a pattern with the perfect reload is at best dreaming ... Tighter chokes will or should increase density in the center and less fringe if all goes as planned, that also is only speculation but would make sense ... My Father used to reload and was a fanatic about how accurately he did things when he remade his ammo and never once did he find the perfect recipe though some proved to be better than others ... He actually went to the point of counting the number of pellets, weighing the powder, and checking wad pressure on each of a bunch of shells he made for testing purposes only ... The outcome of those "Special shells" were no different than if he just sat down and punched them out without all the additional bother ... Shoot new shells and get confident that the manufactor knows what they are doing ... Nitro 27's/7 1/2's will break them from as far back as you can see them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Remington tried to mix 7 1/2s and 8/s 10 years ago. You notice they don't sell anymore.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

With at least one brand of imported factory discount shells, mixed shot sizes are common and some break nice scores with them.

Pat Ireland

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use mixed 7 1/2 and 8's from my bench spills and mistakes for 16 practice. If you have a shop vac. just put the hose on the exhaust end and blow the powder out. Best done outside though if you're married.

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

The last bag of Eagle shot I got looked mixed to me. Wayne

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

good points wayneo, pat....

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Unless you screen all of your shot prior to reloading, I'll guarantee you are shooting duplex loads. Just like wayneo stated about the bag of Eagle shot, I've run into it with eyery brand of shot out there. The magnatude may change between brands, but it is still present.

ss

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I bought a few bags of reclaimed shot that was mixed sizes, even some flattened pellets. At 16 yard I couldn't tell the difference between that and premium shot.

13. scorpman

scorpman Member

how about hunting loads like maybe size 6 & 4's for squirrels? or 6 & 2's? I know at one time some were factory made. Any benefit for hunting? Can you load mixed shot with standard reloading recipes?

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

After Katrina.. many of my shooting friends gave me their flooded shells to salvage the lead.. Everything from #6's to #9's.. All was cleaned.. washed.. tumbled.. and lubed with graphite and a little tri-flo.. As I only shoot 7/8oz in practice..That's what I shot.. Just put the lead on the target.. and they will break..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.