1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dumping targets to possibly hit a lewis class

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    A few weeks ago, I was at a local club on a Sunday to shoot the Winter events. The club I attend is known to pay out some good money should you hit one of the three lewis classes. With that being said, while sitting at a table talking to fellow shooters, a few of them mention how they miss targets on purpose so they will have a better chance to possibly hit the Lewis class.

Let's face it, it's nice to win some cash now and then to offset the cost of shooting. This is a personal decision in regards to missing targets on purpose or not. Without juding anyone, I personally worked to hard for my money to ever miss targets on purpose, and I would never do it.

Over the years, I have also know of shooters who intentionaly miss targets while shooting even in a tournament to improve their chances of hitting a lewis. With that being said, how do you feel when you here about shooters drop targets on purpose to improve their chances of hitting the lewis?

What are your feelings in regards to this practice?
    Steve Balistreri

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Well, you best miss them in the middle of the round and not at either end (s)

3. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

No one does that just as their are no sandbaggers. Call them what they are, low lifers crawling across the ground for a free penny, CHEATERS.

CM

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Thank you SB!

I made a similar comment in a posting last week or so... of course it is cheating... and those that don't play the options can also be collateral damage in the final standings.

I may be in the small minority, but money, or more specifically gambling, ruins true competition for an alternative agenda.... gambling and amateur sport do not mix...

My $0.02,

Jay

5. happytrapper

happytrapper TS Member

Whats wrong with that, you're there to win some money. do you go to work to make money or do you go for the fun of it. If you shoot for a good ave. do the bestyou can. If you shoot for the money do what ever it takes

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I find it more discrete to simply tip the trapper. It usually doesn't even raise an eyebrow.

7. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I have heard this very conversation, some in a joking manner some not. My approach is to go out and determine where the Top Lewis is and be that score that the only true way to figure the lewis and the Pot should be bigger at the top.

8. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

My goal is a 50 or a 100 in races of those lengths. It ALWAYS pays. Larry

9. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

How does dropping a few targets insure winning money? There are no set winning scores. Granted a 96 or 95 in singles will rarely pay off but the second and third class payouts are really a crap shoot. All anyone can do is guess what will score. Definitely not an actual science. Marc

10. open choke

open choke TS Member

It's still gambling either way.

I guess the way they see it if the money won will cover the targets why not. It's still sandbagging which I hate which is also one of the reasons I quit bowling in men's money leagues besides what I used to call the "cry baby leagues".

I haven't done any lewis purses can someone explain to me how it works?

11. RLC323

RLC323 Member

That is one of the "flaws" with the Lewis option. Anyone with a knowledge of how it works and a decent memory can give themselves an opportunity to cash in.

Take the 200 Singles events during last years Grand week. We know the top score is an automatic first Lewis class hit. On Monday and Wednesday 196 also hit the second regular lewis and the second Martin Lewis. A little guess work was involved in the third class, 193 hit the regular, 194 the Martin both days. On down to fourth class it was 190 or 191, well you can see for yourself how it works.

The question you have to ask yourself if you are capable of a better score than what "hits" do you go on and break it and forget the money, or do you dump?

Only you can decide what is right, no amount of rules can ever change that.

12. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

You paid for the targets, there yours, do what ever you want.

13. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I usually don't miss any targets....that way I'm sure I'll hit a louie!!

tony

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Even if you don't hit the Lewis this stratagy would have the benefit of keeping your average down so you don't wind up getting bumped up in class with nothing to show for it?

15. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

OC. Read this. Everyone should know what Lewis is all about

16. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

How could anyone possibly know what the numbers will be for the payout? It is gambling, plain and simple. There's no set way to be able to predict what score will pay out.

I've hit the Lewis 20 times in a row in the last 23 shoots I've been to. But they were all a surprise when I did it. Three shoots ago I blanked and got nothing. And then the last two shoots I've hit it twice. And it's never in the same event. I might hit it in the singles, next may be the caps and a few times in doubles. And most times it's a week later that I get the check in the mail when I realize that I hit it at all.

I say sandbagging is ludicrous. That's a gamble in itself, and all it does is ruin your average.

Kevin

17. open choke

open choke TS Member

MIA,

Is this how trap is usually done?

And if I'm reading this right....if you have a 96 and you know you prolly won't cash in on Class 1 so then if you dump a bird to a 95 then that means you would be at the top of Class 2?

18. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

For laughs, a fellow shooter always talks about how he "manages" his scores (target management) to hit a "Lewis" - worse, he is serious! With a straight face, I ask him how he is able to figure the square root of all the scores being recorded so he knows how to apply the statistics to his calculations. Guess this is why the Lewis system is named after the comedian Jerry Lewis - (I know it isn't).

Then, how is this any different than shooters withdrawing from an event because "it is too windy or rainy or....targets aren't set right...etc." because they want to "protect their average"? What about refusing/accepting handicap reductions? Isn't that sort of "managing" your competitive position in relation to other shooters? Best Regards...and Flame Away. Ed

19. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

And another thing. For fun, take a look at the Lewis "winning" numbers at large events - the Grand, for example, and build a simple frequency distribution of the "winning" Lewis scores for each event using Excel or other spreadsheet. You will see that scores between, say, 83 and 89 "generally" comprise the bulk of the Lewis winners. (Note the word "generally.") So, if you are running a score in the low 90s, you can "dump" a few targets and increase your odds to hit on a Lewis winner between 83 and 89 (chances are 1 out of 7) but there is still no "guarantee" - hint, 87, 88 and 89 always seem good. Your calculations may be different. Me, I seldom play the Lewis...after all, it is gambling and I don't need to waste my insulin money on it; it creates another distraction I don't need anyway; and payoffs are pretty small for the cost to enter. Better yet, I try to get my buddies to wager with me: "I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10 and if you guess it, I will double your money wagered." ;o)
    Best Regards...and Flame Away. Ed

20. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

JMO. OK Let me see, I have been shooting shotguns since i was 9 yrs old. Have I EVER missed a Target on Purpose-- NO!!! Do i care if some one else misses a target on purpose---NO. I personally shoot the best i can anytime & everytime and HOPE I BEAT the "SOCKS" off all the Rest of the shooters.If I "Kick" everybody Else's BUTT i Will Win Some Money If I Play the options so, That Is MY Choice.I do NOT shoot for the Money, JUST the "Tingle" i get in my "Thang" when I Smoke a Target!!!!!!!! DAMN, I Like Ts.com!!!!!!! joe90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.