1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*Dump the BT99 and Trade Up!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Onceabum, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

A large percent of the clubs always seem to have a new shooter who is beginning to break some scores. Suddenly, ego, or whatever you call it, takes over and, in his mind, he has outlived his current gun.

Time to get something more expensive, maybe a P or K Gun. Trade follows, his scores go South and he wonders what happened.

Maybe he'll recover. Some shooters never do.

BB

2. Troutslayer

Troutslayer TS Member

with the economy how it is, why would you want to spend $8000 and up for gun, unless you can spare it. which some people can't and if a kid is improving with a BT or XT or a "lesser value gun" why change it. I have been shooting an XT since I started I am 17 now and shooting better then i could ever dream of. plus I live in Missouri about an hour from Browning headquarters so repair is a breeze.which i only had to do once and they sent me a whole new gun when a peice of the forearm broke off when I was practicing wouldn't change a thing.

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

The quote I always enjoyed by a new shooter was "I can't wait till I start shooting goood and then I can win enough to buy a real trap gun".

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

My gf started shooting a BT99 about two years ago.

I just had my old K-80 fitted with a prototype SSS PFS (Short Stature Stock - my name not Vern's) that goes down to 12 1/2" LOP and a set of 30" barrels. She did real well with it last week during a blizzard. We shall see if it continues.

A "better" gun can help mentally - and the sport is 90% mental. There is a learning curve but that is not uncommon. Try changing from calling "pull" to "yea" and see your scores drop a bit - at least they did for me. Or take a lesson and see what happens short term.

If the gun fits, and shoots where you look, you WILL shoot higher scores with a "better" gun if you believe it is better. If you lose confidence in it, your scores will suffer.

Don

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My old BT-99 (the one I shot the good scores with) just came back to a friend, I got homesick. Maybe I have to have a talk with him.

HM

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I have had more expensive guns than my BT99's. I don't think I have had a better gun. That is why I am back to BT99's .

You must of payed to much for the 870 ??

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I bought a BT-99 Commemorative made for the last Vandalia Grand. It had been shot by a young athlete in the SCTP. Oh well, he discovered gasoline-fumes and per-fumes, and gave up shooting.

I bought it to sell it, but I shot it first. Ran every target with it the first day I shot it. Recoil was light.

I screwed in a 40 point Angleport choke, and decided to keep it. Man will that gun boil targets!

A good light loaner for young and petite shooters, too. I keep some 3/4 oz trap loads for it.

I would not mind shooting it anywhere. It shoots high enough for me to shoot Caps with it as well.

The "new" BT-99 was a pleasant surprise.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

We have been conditioned to believe that more expensive is better. A well known shooter and gun dealer on this site used to operate a jewelry store in Florida. He bought a nice diamond ring from an estate and priced it at a lower price so he could sell it quickly. It sat in his case for a long time. Then he raised the price three times greater than his first price and the ring sold in two weeks. If you walk into a jewelry store to buy a diamond, how would you judge the quality of the diamond?

In my business, I have always priced my services a little bit higher than my competition. It has worked very well for me.

Pat Ireland

9. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Troutslayer,
    If you keep[ thinking like that , you will do okay in the "big world". I believe we (trapshooters, including me at times) should leave well enough alone. Remember, "It's the Indian, not the Arrow". I heard one of my friends tell me once that if he was starting over he would probably just buy Brownings because they are reliable and very affordable.

Charlie

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If I could break 100 straight from the 27 with a Mossberg pump, I'd be shooting a Mossberg. Even if I had to carry a bag of parts with me. As it is I can't break that 100 straight. So, I shoot a Ljutic, and never have to carry a part.

11. 682LINY

682LINY Member

started shootin trap,,with a field gun,,,,said I would buy a trap gun when I ran my first 100,,,,well never got a 100 with it,,,never got above a 90 avarage with it,,,,got a real trap gun,,,have had many 97, 98 , 99 and a 100 scince,,,dont have sore sholder anymore,,,my cheek isint sore,,,can I shoot the field gun,,,,YES and still use it as a back up,and shoot it well,,,but I will chouse the REAL TRAP GUN every time ,,,unless I am shooting sporting clays or Pheasants

12. cle

cle Member

BT-99 --------- the BEST trap gun FOR THE MONEY........ever made.

13. Troutslayer

Troutslayer TS Member

charlie, brownings are reliable and affordable and they do what they are intended for. when trap starts feeling like a job instead of a hobby is when i find a different hobby to void my spare time.

14. james25889

james25889 Member

my first trap gun was a bt99 when i was 14 i ran a 100 straight in caps with it shortly after that i wanted a krieghoff to be cool like the other kids then next year my father got me a model 32 i shot it well but never as good as the bt99 i continued to shoot the krieghoff until i was 18 then tried my fathers old 1100 trap my average went up about 3 birds with the 1100 i currently have 5 trap guns my old bt99 2-1100 traps and 2-krieghoff 32 combos and always use my 1100 the bt-99's and 1100's will break them all like the k and p guns.

i wish i never went to the krieghoff stayed with the bt-99 and the 1100 but wanted to be like the other kids with krieghoffs peer pressure

james wilkerson

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

So true. Only concern I have: A gun eventually obtains an expensive upgrade, a very expensive one. That is the cost of shells and targets that are run through it and called for respectively. Therefore, to protect that investment, is not a strong and reliable and nicely balanced gun suiting the shooter the "best" gun? I mean...I'd hate to pour a ton of $$$$ through a cheap gun and have to replace it all the time, or worse yet, find that familiar gun to be no longer available etc. So...why not burn the powder in the most reliable and strongest gun that works for you per your pocketbook?

16. jimsw

jimsw Member

"The BT 99 old style was the best trap gun ever made". Frank Little. Get over the idea an expensive gun is the road to stardom.

17. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I realize preferences on guns is individual; as for the BT-99, I've been shooting mine since I bought it in 1979. The gun has been cleaned everytime I've fired it, lubed before I fire it, and has preformed over the years with no breakdowns and still is tight. I know you can spend more but dollar for dollar it's a hard gun to beat. The important thing, in my opinion, is shoot the gun that fits you and that you have 100% confidence with it. No gun is worth the money unless you shoot it well; i.e., you can't always buy a good score. When all said and done, it's almost always the person behind the gun makes the difference. Darrell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.