1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dumb Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bjk1972, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

With all the discontent for ported barrels, I was wonderring if its possible to weld/fill in the ports and reblue the barrel on a ported gun?

2. Borchardt

Borchardt Member

Probably cheaper to buy a new barrel.

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do any of you think we'll see the day when porting becomes an option or just plain not available?

4. ABH

ABH Member

I hope so Dave.

ART H.

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Sure is funny how people gripe about manufactuers who port barrels, when they are simply responding to a market, that only a decade or so, was such that everybody demanded it, because they were sold a bunch of goods.

6. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

BJK,
    The heat from welding would distort those thin barrels quite badly. Not a good idea.

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Rick, just what bill of goods were we sold??? Porting does reduce muzzle jump. May reduce felf recoil about 2% or so. So You will never feel any difference in recoil, but you can see the difference in muzzle jump with most target loads. This helps you keep your eye on the targets better even in a single shot game if your a one eyed shooter!!! Then again maybe you don't notice any difference. I would not spend the money to have it done to a older barrel!!! They do make the gun abit harder to clean if you don't clean your gun after each use. OK now who's going to tell us overbored barrels with reduced forcing cones are bad now too. LOL. Break-em all Jeff

8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I have a 30" Perazzi O/U barrel that has had the porting welded closed by the former owner. The barrels have been reblued; the welds are faintly visible on close inspection showing as little dots. The chokes are fixed and were a tight 0.38 on the top and 0.46 on the bottom. I had them re-choked to 0.30 0.36. You can not see any sign of welding on the inside of the barrels only the outside.

I've shot several thousand rounds through these barrels with no discoloration,disistortion or any signs of failure. both the top and side ribs remain firmly intact in spite of beeing welded.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.