1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dumb Question....Spreader Choke ??????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Spanky, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Was searching out a Mobil Choke (Beretta) I wanted for use in my Benelli and I came across what they refered to as a Spreader Choke. What is it and what is the intention? I have and use cylinder tubes but never took notice of this term given to a tube. Is it a tube more open than cylinder? A negative constriction? Euro Skeet? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks Spank.

2. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

It is a negative constriction choke tube. The Beretta Euro Skeet choke is a negative constriction tube. It is for use close shots, 21 yards or less.

Jason

3. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Briley makes one that is about 5 thou constriction with rifeling. I have patterned it and it opens up the pattern more than cylinder. I use mine when I shoot targets under 20yds and rabbits. No pun intended.
    I can't believe that the neg constriction works because the same thing happens when the shot leaves the barrel.

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

It could mean different things depending on the maker. With Beretta, Waverider gave you the right info. And so too sptnclay in regard to Briley.

With the old Cutts, the spreader was very popular with the skeet shooters. It was huge. Odd thing was it was so huge the shot never touched it, but you could just smoke targets with them. BTW - Wayno never used the Spreader tube in his Cutts.

5. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

years ago,i bot one w/ what looked like spiraled ribs inside. it twisted itself so tight in the threads, that i had to have a gunsmith heat the barrel!!( it was a quail eating choke!) i threw the choke away but then found the best choke called COBRA, manufactered by ballistic specialties--buy one -it works

6. Loyac

Loyac Member

So is a SPREADER the same as a DIFFUSER? John

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Yes, same thing, different lingo. A spreader typically is a straight cylinder choke with, in one form or another something that disrupts the wad. It can be rifling or in some cases a wave/ripple like surface machined in the choke.

In my opinion, rarely if ever needed these days (I don't think it was really ever needed...but, if someone can make a buck!), being that the trend in Sporting Clays courses has been farther and farther shots.

Or, there's some that get the same results simple by shooting "threads"...like I do!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ballistic specialties cobra speader choke tube
beretta spreader choke
spreader choke
spreader tube for skeet

what is a spreader choke

what is spreader choke