1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dumb Question on Clay Birds

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by billn, Jul 1, 2013.

1. billn

billn Member

I have shot for a long time, but I was asked by a member of the 4H shooting team, why are the clay birds numbered. I never looked at them before while putting them in the rack. But they are numbered on the bottom.

Why are the numbers on the bottom of the clay birds????

2. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Bill,

Those are mold numbers. If upon inspection a group of targets is found to have a common defect, it identifies the exact mold the targets came from. Saves time looking for the faulty one...

Not a dumb question at all, you are one of the first people I know of who noticed the numbers! When I was a kid loading targets in the old 1524 machines I noticed the numbers. I asked a White Flyer salesman what they were and he gave me the answer above.

Bob Schultz

3. mooneymissle

mooneymissle Member

You will find the same thing on wads---for the same reason!

4. SAL328

SAL328 TS Member

Bob is correct except it's not the mold number they are called cavity ID numbers the mold has probably between 4 and 32 cavities in it and each has a number to identify it. So if anything goes wrong with a specific cavity they can fix it or they can probably shut off specific cavities that have problems until they get too many shut off then they pull the mold and fix it.
    Sorry for the correction but I work in a mold shop and deal with this stuff all the time.

5. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

SAL,

Correction cheerfully accepted! Thanks for the specific info.

Bob

6. billn

billn Member

Thanks for the information,