1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dumb question for the computer knowledgeable

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by AveragEd, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I bought a new PC for my home office and want to copy all my photos and documents from the old PC to the new one. I opened "My Documents," right-clicked on a folder and selected "Copy to CD." So far, I've tried four folders (one of which has just a few documents in it) and each time, I get a message telling me that the data selected won't fit on a CD. Obviously, I'm not doing this correctly - what's the proper method?

Thanks for your help!

Ed

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I paid the pc geek $50 to transfer all my stuff from my old to my new computer and it was worth every dime. My new pc is just like my old, except it is gooder, better, faster.

3. AveragEd

Well, I'm not oppoosed to paying someone $50 to do this but I did it myself when I bought this PC 12 years ago. You know what they say about memory - it's the second thing to go and I forget what the first one was.

Ed

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Ed, I have the same problem. I tried to copy to cd and it kept responding that the info won't fit on the disk. I will watch this so I can find out how to do it. Jackie B.

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Ed, I have the same problem. I tried to copy to cd and it kept responding that the info won't fit on the disk. I will watch this so I can find out how to do it. Jackie B.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Normally the contents of the old hard drive are transfered to a temporary external drive or to a network site. Then you remove the old machine and load everything back to the new machine. A call to the Geek squad will get it done and usually they don't have to come to your house.

We bought our latest machine from Dell and they provided that service for us remotely. Completely painless, not worth fighting on your own.

7. AveragEd

Problem solved. I initially slected all my folders thinking that the drive would copy them until the disk was full and I could then insert another CD. It doesn't work that way so it told me everything wouldn't fit on one CD. Even when I only selected one folder, the drive que was already overfilled, so I got the same message. I emptied the que and it's working fine one folder at a time.

Ed

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Put it on a memory stick. HMB

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

What program are you using to do this? Try using a dedicated CD burning software like Nero Express or B's Gold. It always tells me when to insert another CD.

Wayne

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

More than likely, Dave S has it right,

Your files may be to big to put on a CD, but a DVD has much more room to copy your pics, etc......

Hauxfan!

11. howie

howie Member

Ed,

Glad you have your problem fixed. I have a question: How are you backing up your data files? CDs, DVDs and USB memory sticks are not the most reliable means to perform a backup. May I suggest you spend ~$60 bucks and buy an external hard drive. Fro that price you can get a 350 - 500 GB external hard drive. That size drive is typically much larger than the hard drives that come with PCs. If you really want to store a ton of pictures, a 1 TB drive is about $100. There are a bunch of freeware ($0) programs that will automatically back up your data periodically. When you get a new PC again, just plug the external drive into a USB slot and you're ready to go.

Of course, there's always Carbonite, if your PC is connected to the Internet, does the same thing as an external backup, but your data is not stored locally and is safe in the event someone breaks into your home and steals your PC. I too have my home protected by the GSP patrol, but once someone gets in their ability to protect reverts to to wagging tails and licks on the hand.

12. vatrap

vatrap Member

Ed,

If both computers one of the easiest ways is with a usb network cable, if both computers have a usb port. If both computers have at least XP as an operating system they will hook right up. Cable cost about $20 and you don't have to open anything up.

Mike

[​IMG]

13. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

If its moderately old it probably wouldn't have a DVD burner?

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

vatrap A good suggestion however I bought a new lap top in November(windows 7)and a cable as you suggest.

When I connected the cable the process started and a drop down window said that the transfer could not be made as both computers were not ready. Not what wasn't ready or how to make them ready just that they weren't ready. Made the cable useless.

Bob Lawless

15. AveragEd

Yes, it has both a CD burner and a DVD burner - it was a top-of-the-line $2,700 machine back in 1998 or 1999. And it has USB ports galore. I thought there probably was a way I could connect both of them but figured that a cable between them sounded too easy to work.

Well, I now have everything I want from the old one - articles, photos, tax returns, etc. - on CDs. When I get a chance, I'll tear the old one down, set the new one up and load the files into it. The old one will just be going into a closet for a while in case there's something I've forgotten. It still works great but I've replaced both the power supply and hard drive once and at 11 or 12 years of age, I figured I might be pressing my luck, so I bought the new one.

Ed

16. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

Ed,

If they're both desktop computers you can always take the hard drive out of the old one and add it as a second drive for the new PC... Makes it a ton easier to transfer files, and you can always reformat the drive to gain space once you are confident that you have everything you need off of it.

Or you can buy an enclosure for your old hard drive and use it as an external drive... Either way, no real need to keep the entire old PC around.

--Dan

17. AveragEd

That's a great idea. The hard drive in the old one is a fairly new (three years?) 250GB Western Digital. It's only something like 1/3-full so I could use it for a weekly or even daily back-up.

The new one has a 1TB hard drive - who could ever use that much data storage? Most of my files are text documents created in MS Word.

Ed

18. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

"The new one has a 1TB hard drive - who could ever use that much data storage?"

I asked a similar question when my first computer had 64 megs of ram and a small hard drive, don't remember how much. I then bought a computer in 2002 or so and thought that a gig of ram and an 80 gig hard drive was overkill. WOW....

So 1TB might be plenty for you, but now there are families that in the process of going completely digital, all home videos, pictures, music, hollywood movies, etc. are being stored on these hard drives.

10 years from now, Blu Rays will be used as coasters...

Sounds like you have a nice machine!!! Enjoy!

Also for my 2 cents, I like backing up hard drives to an external hard drive. I like Seagate and Western Digital. I back up my hard drives regulary to one external HD, I keep a second external HD in a safety deposit box. About once a quarter I swap the external HD I keep in my safe at the house with the one at the bank.

19. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I'm somewhat amazed about all the issues of backing up HD's. I guess there are those who have a lot of information stored on their computers. There is nothing on my computer that is that important that I can't afford to lose it. Different strokes and all that.

Eric

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I have a Dell desktop computer I had it one week short of a year. The hard drive sh** the bed. Dell said they had a bunch of drive from the same series do it so they said they would replace it with a new better one with all the original software that came with the one that died.

They sent the drive and a tech to install it. I said I didn't need a tech they said no tech no warranty. It was installed and the tech said where is the back up. I said I don't have a backup he said thats to bad because now you have lost everything.

Think about that no Favorites, address book, email address, saved mail. Unless you have dial up email no email account information. Hours and hours to put it all back in if you have it all. Not ever again for me for what it cost me for a backup external hard drive(750GB drive with all the software preinstalled less than a hundred bucks)it works great and I have everything I want to save right on the hard drive the only way to fly from one who has had the problems.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.