1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dumb question about skeet vs. trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

Do you happen to know why skeet is much less popular than trap? It seems like a good game. I was reading about skeet and trap and the book said that skeet is considered much simpler than trap. Superficially, skeet seems more complex than trap. I tried skeet once and it seemed OK, but when I started looking for a shotgun game I picked trap just because it's so well supported by ranges and leagues. For example, my club is principally a trap shooter club. There are skeet houses, but they are never used anymore.

Is there some special magic about trap that makes it attractive to shooters?

2. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Skeet is great to shoot but it is a much SLOWER game. It also tends to be a much more social game with all of the talking. In competitive skeet it takes 4 gauges to shoot the entire event and , therefore, is more costly to start. Besides, I don't shoot skeet well .

Charlie

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Can't say.

I know I enjoy both immensely, but I only shoot registered trap.

I know in Kansas, the number of registered skeet shooters is far below the number of registered trap shooters.

Tim

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I've never had to address this question before, but my knee jerk answer would be that in order to play the skeet game properly, one will need 4 guns where in trap one needs only 1 (except for doubles). Skeet in most respects is a slower game with no surprises (the targets are always in the same place at the same time) excepting the weather. Trap has an element of surprise in that the target can be presented in 5 different angles.

For me, I find skeet somewhat boring (but a good game nonetheless) and have gravitated to trap because of the handicap and doubles competition.

Curt - Delaware

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

You read the wrong book ...

The magic that makes trap so attractive to shooters is the ease of the game. When teaching a new skeet shooter to shoot skeet any good instructor will start the shooter on station 7 low house where every bird is a straight away type of bird to give the shooter confidence in breaking a target. Once that is done you move the shooter to station 6 low house to teach how to shoot an angled target and from then on its lead and such around the course.

Now in trap you always try and get that station 6 or 7 low house type of shot (either a straight away or slight angle) and complain and moan when you get anything else ... which a skeet shooter must shoot all the time.

Skeet and trap are no more difficult than the other it is just the perception of the shooter but most shooters perception believe that what they shoot is the most difficult and that is why they shoot it but in all reality they are shooting what they are good at and they are good at whichever they find to be easier for them.

6. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Time (a round of skeet takes longer) and a new shooter can break more targets in trap than skeet. Example, my first round of trap, 17. Months later, my first round of skeet... 6. Both are fun, but I think trap will get new shooters hooked easier than skeet will.

~Michael

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

So trap is faster and easier ...

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

So its 50% shoot skeet and 50% shoot trap ...

9. billc49

billc49 TS Member

I don't know that one is easier. Faster is relative. I can shoot either as well or as poorly as the other. Just a different game. Although the 4 gun for competetive skeet as opposed to the one or 2 guns for trap shooting can, and I stress the _can_ make it a little more economical to shoot trap. Myself, I prefer to shoot trap and shoot skeet for a change of pace occasionally.

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know ... if you really want to fully compete in skeet is when you need 4 different gauges of guns and that is really for serious competition. There are many who shoot only 12ga or just 12ga and 20ga because of the cost. There are also many who shoot just for fun like many of the trap shooters who only shoot 12ga ... and allot of them shoot various disciplines of shotgun sports because they enjoy shooting.

11. royboy

royboy Member

YOU DON'T HAVE TO WEAR A DRESS WHEN YOU ARE SHOOTING TRAP

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

That is true but with all the ... well ... um ... most legs around a trap field makes Hillary Clinton's legs look sexy so thank gawd you dont have to wear a dress when shooting trap!

13. chuckles

chuckles Member

An old saying in shooting sports goes like this:

Skeet is difficult to learn but easy to master...

Trap is easy to learn but more difficult to master...

Food for thought...

There are always more 100 straights registered per 100 shooters than Trap...

Flight path of Skeet Clay is basically always the same...

Flight of Trap Clay is always different...

I personally shoot Trap, Skeet, 5 Stand and Sporting Clays...

It is my experience that Sporting Clays is the more difficult...

Regards

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Boredom is the enemy of many a potential good skeet shooter rising from the ranks of Trap. Slow squads, talking and back slapping rattle the finely tuned Trapshooters brain. When good Trapshooters try Skeet they usually break lower scores and return to the Trapfield telling all their buddies how much easier the game was.

Nobody needs 4 gauges to shoot Skeet for fun but many of us bring extra trapguns to a shoot-just in case!!

15. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

At my shooting club skeet is much more popular. The skeet fields are usually full and the one trap field that is setup is almost always empty. Personally, I love both. I always start with trap and finish up with skeet. I shoot targets for fun and for practice for field shooting. I find with the two games most shots in the field are covered.

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Good question - Questor

I find skeet more challenging than trap. (at least with the small gauges) Lumper's observation about the dress code seems to be a common perception too. One of the trophies that I got for winning the HOA in last year' skeet league was a flaming pink shooting skirt. The other shooters picked this out just for me, I'm not sure what it means exactly .....

17. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Skeet in my mind is a much easier game than trap, there are only 2 targets, and once you master the different leads it's a no brainer.

In the 410 compitition at a big shoot, it would be rare to not have at least 20 100's.

Don't get me wrong, skeet is a really fun game to shoot, but please don't tell me it's harder than trap.

At my club most of the trap shooters can go to the skeet field and shoot great scores, but on the other hand, the skeet shooters can't shoot trap worth beans.

I love to shoot skeet in my off season, it's just fun....

18. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Ah...cocked wad...I knew someone would not dissapoint. You may be surprised to know that skeet forums go for years...really, YEARS without anybody even thinking about trap shooters enough to gratuitously insult them...you just ain't that important..no matter how much time you spend thinking about yourself.

As to the question, skeet was originally developed as an off season aid to upland type bird hunting. There are not as many bird hunters as in decades past so I would assume that there are not as many people interested in keeping their hunting skills up.

The point made about tournament skeet and four guns is valid...it is a much more expensive game to get into at the competitive level. Not just guns, if you reload..then you reload four gauges perhaps. Stock components for all four. 28 ga and 410 factory shells are quite expensive these days. To get into any significant skeet shoot, you pretty much have to sign up for all four guns (maybe five if you want to shoot doubles), so there goes at least two full days plus travel and other expenses.

Sporting Clays...where one gun can do you and a tournament is often shot in a matter of hours, certainly most often concluded in a day, is giving skeet a great deal of competition.

I enjoy trap on the rare occasion that I shoot it...but where some trap shooters find skeet targets too predicable...well, to me trap is like all low 7 targets with a little angle off.

Cheers

Baron23

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

1. Skeet can be more expensive in that it requires 4 guns or one with expensive sub gauge tubes or an expensive gun equipped with 4 sets of barrels if you're going to register birds seriously.

2. The game is slower with only one shooter prepared to shoot on a post at a time while 4 wait their turn once the post is cleared. At a typical skeet shoot, 200 birds a day is a norm which requires a second day to shoot the "other" two guns and maybe a third day for the doubles game. Shoot offs abound since there are way more trophies to deal with.

3. There are, it seems, endless trophies or awards to decide in skeet all of which requires time to settle and a seriously watered down value of each and every award. It is admitted by all there is not enough money to win in skeet shooting where it's an important part of trap.

4. Reloading requires 4 separate loaders, 4 separate wads, 4 separate hulls, at least 2, maybe 3 separate powders to keep yourself prepared in registered skeet shooting.

However, social or recreational skeet shooting can be every bit as much fun as the same in trap and IMHO, skeet will hone skills that will improve gun handling in any venue.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

20. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Most people I see are so specialized into trap they can't hit diddly squat on the skeet field.

Registered or not, I shoot about as much skeet as I do trap simply b/c I don't shoot it as well.

Shooting is more fun when you're good at it ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

skeet vs trap popularity