1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dumb question about shell velocity

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by 2500 HD, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I see alot of guys that shoot 2 3/4 dram (1145 fps),but many are our cub are shooting 3 dram (1200 fps) shells. For the last couple of years I have been trying to stay with 1 consistant speed shell 3 dram 1200 fps from 16 and handi cap. What are the true advantages of the slower shell. Can you as the shooter realy tell the difference of 55 fps. as far as lead times and recoil. I know its a dumb question, but I've been wondering this for awhile. Thanks Ken.

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

0   0   0

Go with the lightest and slowest load you feel confident with.

I shoot allot of 1200fps 1 1/8s--mainly due to availability and old habits.

Last year I learned how much softer (at least perceived) 1 oz at 1145s felt.

Both break any target you'll ever see with authority.

Guy Babin

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

in the UK most guns are regulated for a velocity of 950 fps ~ 1050fps... even the hunting loads for high flying birds.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0

I shoot one ounce at 1200 for singles. I also practice handicap with them and they break the targets just fine.

My brain forces me to use Nitros for serious handicap even though I know I can use the one ounce.

FWIW International guys went to 24 gram (app. 7/8 oz) and the scores went UP.thi9s was after years of 1 & 1/4 oz loads.

Use whatever your shrink approves.

HM

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

0   0   0

2500 HD:

Check your private messages.

sissy

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I can feel a difference in the cummulative effect of recoil after shooting 200-300 rounds in a day. I can't really detect a difference in shot flight time between 2 3/4 Vs 3 dram loads - they both get there plenty quick. I prefer shooting the 2 3/4 dram loads for everything including long yard handicap.

7. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I shot a couple of rounds tonight with each new factory sts loads. I couldn't tell much difference in breaks or recoil. I have a gra-coil recoil system on my Beretta 682x and If I didn't look at the box before the round I didn't notice a difference. Mayber after 200 -300 shells I would, but the thunderstorms didn't let that happen tonight. Thanks for all the advice. Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.