1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dumb Question about ribs

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sinker_63, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinker_63

sinker_63 TS Member

O.K. guys got a dumb "newbie" question about ribs. If I were to do the "balsa wood" trick, playing around with trying to raise my rib, and say I was to tape a 1" piece of balsa to my rib. Is this not going to lower my POI, unless I raise my comb 1" to compensate for the new added height?
    If I were to leave my comb in it's current position, how much would this lower my POI?

2. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Oh geez...

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Raising your rib one inch would prevent your looking along it without raising your cheek one inch above the comb. If, along with the add-on rib, you raised your comb one inch, technically speaking and splitting hairs, your POI would be one inch lower.

Rollin

4. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

Big fun's a comin, just wait...

If you add a 1 inch rib, I can't imagine you not also changing your comb. Unless your comb was already way high, you wont see anything but the back of the rib???

Or are the releases on the down rigger cables set real tight here? cls

5. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

To raise your point of impact, you need to raise your comb. If you raise your rib 1" (with wood), you would have to raise your stock 1 and 1/8" to make the gun shoot higher. Don't add the wood yet. Just raise your comb. Once you raise your comb as high as your need it for the correct point of impact, you can then play with wood on the rib to determine the configuation of the rib you need to see a figure 8 w/ the beads (If thats what you want see).this would require an "addon rib" and alot of confusion. Or just move your center bead ahead to make the "look" you want.

your probably confused about the process....talk to someone at your nearest gunclub to explain.

6. sinker_63

sinker_63 TS Member

Rollin, since your the only one to give a honest answer, without the normal smart ass wise-cracks i'll address this to you!!!
    What I'm trying to do is get the gun in a more "natural" shoulder position. Currently in order to get my head in a more upright position, I'm forced to actually raise the gun higher onto my shoulder. In this position the heel of the gun is above my shoulder.
    Was playing with the idea of a higher add on rib, so that I could lower the gun more into the "shoulder pocket" and still keep a more upright head position. Although I'd probably be more better served by adding a adjustable buttplate? correct?
    But in going that route wouldn't there be more muzzle flip? thanks.

7. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

Gee whiz... "Lighten up Frances", you haven't seen nothing yet.

Take an hour and read the thread linked above and you'll understand. cls

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

9. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

sinker_63
    Now you see why PFS stocks are popular. Also provides a bit of interest in companies like keensights. but if you just lower the gun on your shoulder and raise the rib appropriately, there will be no change in POI. Putting on an adjustable butt plate will not change muzzle flip or anything else felt recoil wise as long as you stick with a straight pad.

What you have to ask yourself is what should I do to be certain my gun mount is the same from shot to shot to shot. PFS has lots of advantages but add on ribs are inexpensive - wood is even cheaper. So give the wood a chance, just use a straight pad (which I assume you already have on the gun if it is mounted so high).

10. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

What you need is more drop at the heel. And no you won't get muzzle flip, unless you screw with the pitch.
    Dan

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Neil should be along soon....

jrc

12. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Sinker,

The problem you identified is probably caused by your longer than average neck. Your compensation in raising your gun mount is the right idea but in your case, it is insufficient. You need a stock adjuster/adjustable buttplate to lower the pad. But be careful: Lowering it too much will increase barrel rise during recoil. (It can also make putting your gun into a hard-case a real challenge.

A stock adjuster (the Jones being one of the simplest ones) will also give you the benefit of rotating the toe of the pad to the outside, which is beneficial to many shooters. That adjustment is known a adding cast at the toe and lowering the pad increases the gun's "drop at the heel", the heel being the top of the butt or recoil pad.

Incidently, the information about raising the comb to raise the point of impace is correct.

Rollin

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

sinker_63, ever thought of raising your shoulder a tad, give that a try too? Hap

14. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Rollin/sinker_63

As I have gleaned from your contributions , if a shooter wishes to lower the POI relative to the POA , one lowers the comb --- and one would interpolate that raising the rib by adding a parallel slat of balsa would effect the same effect as the muzzle would be lowered the thickness of the slat .

Consequently , when seeing a fairly wide section of rib between the mid-bead and the muzzle bead (with the adjustable comb at BDC) , after a 1/2" of balsa (painted black) was temporarily added to the rib with the effect of seeing none of the rib's top surface ( when mounted) and the POI and POA essentially converged .

Having accomplished "what" I thought you , Rollin , was espousing , I thought , "Dang , Charlie , Rollin does know --- yadayadayada "

That isn't what I understand from your advice to sinker_63 ; please , tell me I misunderstood that advice .

So , sinker_63 , if your gun shoots high , I'll say adding a flat piece of balsa on your rib will lower the POI 'cause you will have lowered the muzzle of your gun when you shoot .

Charlie

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.