1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

dumb question about Monte Carlo stocks

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RickA, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickA

RickA Member

Ok this may seem like a dumb question but I'm not real familiar with them so please excuse my ignorance.
    Would a Monte Carlo Stock for an Remington 870 be the same overall length as a field stock?
    Thanks
    Rick

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Maybe yes Maybe no . A Monte Carlo has little to do with lenght and more to do with a higher comb

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

it(mc stock) will seem a lil longer due to your head being raised slightly away from your hand and thumb!?

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Many people mis-understand the "montecarlo" style stock. It is not related to length of pull. Nor is the "comb" height necessarily higher than a straight stock. The only real difference a monte carlo offers is the buttpad is at a lower height on the shoulder than a straight stock with the same comb heights would be. If you check out the specifications of several shotgun, some with monte carlo style stocks and others with straight comb or field style stocks, you will find, at least in target guns, that the comb measurements are likely to be very close or the same. Only the heel or buttplate will have a lower dimension. The purpose of the monte carlo is to allow this, which for some, is simply a more comfortable position for the buttpad in the shoulder, while still giving standard comb position for most and proper fitting to the cheek and face.

Jim R

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jim- An excellent and accurate post.

Pat Ireland

6. RickA

RickA Member

Ok Thanks now I have another question is there a standard length to a monte carlo stock. I recently purchased one for a project that I am working on expecting it to be the same length as my field stock and its about 3/4" shorter than the field stock. I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is standard for all 870 monte carlo stocks or what. It's not a huge deal because I can add a spacer to it when I get it on the gun but I'm a curious sort. LOL

7. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

The length of pull has nothing to do with style of stock. Every manufacturer establishes its standard LOP (although in general a "target shotgun" will likely have a longer LOP than a field gun) but Beretta LOP is not the same as say SKB, and Perazzi is different from either, and so on and on. LOP can and does also often differ with type of shotgun (over/under, semi-auto, etc) as well as specific sport (Trap guns frequently have longer LOP than say skeet guns), but all is completely complicated by the fact that most target shooters will modify the factory LOP to whatever works best for them. This is usually not the case in field guns. But again, this all has nothing to do with the fact that is a monte carlo stock. Some monte carlo styles are short, some are long, some in between, some modified by past owner, etc, etc, etc. I don't know where you purchased the 870 stock, but sounds as if it was shortened by someone in the past as generally Remington stock lengths of pull run fairly similar to each other regardless of 870, 1100, etc. and if yours is substantially shorter than other Remington stocks (more than 1/4 or 3/8 inch) it is likely altered by someone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.