1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DUMB PERAZZI QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KEYBEAR, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

So I buy a very nice Perazzi TMX and shoot it as well as anything I have now a question or two .

I use Grease good or bad over oil ? What size bore is the average TMX (1982 build) . It has choke tubes (3) a .0690- .0705- .0710 .

Thanks

2. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

Congratulations on the new gun. I can't see why any grease would be a good idea???? Can you say "dirt magnet".

I think the bore was is a typical, tight Perazzi .724

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I clean after every days shooting and regrease I can,t believe oil will stay all day ??

I will have the bore measurement taken when I fine time .

4. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

ALF-99,

Grease or Oil? That debate will rage until the end of time. I use grease on my TMX.

The bore question is easy. It's stamped on the underside of your barrel. If you look near the mono block you will see either 18.4 or 18.5. I'll bet it's 18.4 on yours. Anyway, 18.4 is the bore in mm and that translates to .724". Unless your barrel was worked on, that's the bore.

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Oil is absorbed into the wood. Synthetic, FDA approved grease like Viper Lube or SuperLube stays put and doesn't stain wood or clothes.

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Rastoff your right 18.4

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Giacomo recommends oil!!

8. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Giacomo recommends TriFlo synthetic oil.

9. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Alf, you have the worlds tightest choke tubes....we assume you meant .690, .705 and .710. Personally, I use STOS on my TM-1. And like you, clean it after every shoot.

Buz

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My TMX was proofed in 1982 with code AI. My barrel is marked 18.4 but it actually measures .728. I have a #8 Choke for Handicap and a #6 Choke for Singles. I use STOS on the hinge and have no sign of galling but I wipe it off with Break Free after a day of shooting.

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

MikeTMX I believe my TMX was also built in 1982 and marked 18.4 . It,s in very nice condition and all numbers match . The only thing I,m not real happy with in the choke tubes .

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

But the real important question should be:

What shot size does it pattern best, 7-1/2's or 8's?? (let's get a real pee'n contest going)

Enquiring minds need to know.

Curt

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Giacomo recommends oil only because he believes trap shooters will not clean their guns. Perazzi recommends grease, and they include a tube with their new guns.

Listed to Barry. Superlube is the best stuff to use. It is TPFE in a synthetic oil base It does not harden in cold, and does not melt in heat. A little goes a long way. It is what I use on my shotguns. I carefully wipe away ALL the grease after each use, and reapply new grease next time I use the gun. It works.

BTW, some of the SuperLube is 50% Teflon. Ace hardware sells at caulking tube size container for $6. It is enough for several lifetimes.

14. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

I have a MX10RS per Giacomo I use triflo, clean almost everytime and have only used perazzi grease only twice and put it on with a toothpick

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The only place you use a dab of grease is the barrel ears.. The pivots and everything else is tri-flo.. I however still use grease on the pivots.. and clean it ALL off after every day of shooting..

I do have a new product.. made by the inventor of tri-flo.. that is surpassing every test I've thrown at it.. I can fit a stainless slide to a stainless frame..with micro tollerances.. and no galling.. It's being tested on a Beretta 682 as we speak.. It's looking very promising.. I'll show it to whoever is interested..at the GRAND..

16. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I've been using GI teflon loaded small arms lube (and TriFlow for triggers) for decades. Snot-slickest shit I have seen. Few drops here and there when assembling and a quick wipe when done. No appreciable wear on any of the Perazzis at any point for the last twenty years.

My feeling is that what you use is many times less important than using it regularly and correctly. I recently acquired another old Mirage that had obviously been used by a no lube kinda guy. First time I have ever seen a worn out trigger sear and hammer. Just amazing.

Charlie

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Charlie.. Kind of sounds like what I have.. This stuff is ultra fine white.. a few drops.. wipe on.. wipe off.. Dirt does not stick.. Cleans off with mineral spirits.. slick/slick/slick.. The military is using the 2nd generation.. the 3rd is what I'm testing..and it works fantastic..

18. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Many varied opinions. I want something that will stay put and not squeeze out after a few cycles. I can not see an oil standing up to the rubbing pressures. In an engine it works well because there is a large reserve replenishing continuosly. Not so with a gun. My first choice would be a Moly grease but it is a very dirty black that gets on everything. I prefer a med vis syn grease infused with as much Teflon as practical. I have just started using a grease from ACE HARDWARE called SUPER LUBE. Seems to be very good. For years I used STOS with no bad results. I do clean and re-lube after every days use. Marc

19. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

TriFlo synthetic oil because Giacomo said so. Todd

20. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Same here. Giacomo recommends a small amount of grease on the curved cocking surfaces on the bottom of the barrels, but TriFlow everywhere else. Two drops on either side of the block, one drop on the lug, a drop on either side of the curved surface that mates with the forend, and a drop on the barrel release lever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.