1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

## Dumb Blonde Stock Fitting Question! ##

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Johnny C, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny C

Johnny C TS Member

Sorry if this is a very basic question, but I don't know the answer and I want to set my new adjustable stock up correctly.

Why do some stocks have combs that are set up parallel to the barrels and some have nearly 1/2" drop from front to back. Is there and advantage in either?
    When I set my comb up with some drop it actually feels better, but everyone at my club tells me it is wrong. Why?????

Karen

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If it feels right and your hitting targets, so be it. Advantage to parallel comb is no matter where you place your face forward on the comb or back your eye is the same level above the rib. There is no real right or wrong about adjustable combs, You adjust it to where you can be comfortable and hitting targets. Today I played with my comb. I always had it straight back to front. Today I moved the rear a little more out away from my face. My scores didnt change much but I felt a bit more comfortable during my mount. I spent a good amount of time at the pattern board until I found what I liked. Did not change much after that. I started the winter league today. This is when I will fiddle with changes.

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

When the comb is parallel to the barrel your cheek will be at the same elevation regardless where you place it on the comb. This is supposed to give you the same sight picture in various places on the comb. At least that's the way it was explained to me.

The only dumb question is the one that wasn't asked.

Good Luck with your stock. A proper fit is essential to good shooting.

Bill

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Not a dumb question at all, and I'll bet many people who shoot clay target games don't know the answer.

Parallel, or "Monte Carlo" stocks are often used for clay target shooting games because in general, regardless of where you put your face on the stock (front to back), your eye is about the same level above the rib, which will give you the same point of impact when you shoot.

Sloped combs are mostly used on field guns because it's easier to quickly mount a gun and get it up to your face with a sloped stock (like when a pheasant flushes.) Note, I did not say "...get it up to your shoulder." More important that the gun comes up to your face, then back to yoru shoulder. Eye alignment is more important than shoulder alignment.

Monte Carlo stocks are also common in clay target shooting guns because field (sloped) stcoks tend to push into your face when the gun recoils back, while Monte Carlo stocks are less likely to bite you in the face on recoil (I say LESS likely.) When you shoot 100 or 200 or 300 targets in a day, that can become significant.

If you are using a sloped stock, and you're shooting it well and it feels good to you, that's fine. At some point, you will probably try a Monte Carlo stock and you may find you like it. Until then, keep using the gun you're using. Most (I say MOST, not all) clay target shooters find the Monte Carlo stock has advantages over a field stock for clay target sports, so that's why most target shooting guns have them.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

irfner made a valid point. With a comb that is parallel with the barrel, mounting the gun with your head father back will typically raise your eye. Remember, the two sights are the front sight and your eye. The comb is not a sight.

A comb with more drop at the front could reduce face slap slightly but it does make consistent mounting of the gun a little more difficult. Field guns have lots of drop at the front because in the field mounting the gun is done quickly and often without the cheek firmly placed on the comb.

A Monte Carlo style stock may or may not have a comb that is parallel.

I set my comb parallel and then give the rear elevation screw one full turn (ca 1/32 inch). I have convinced myself that this can help reduce face slap. This practice is probably more effective in my mind rather than on my cheek.

Pat Ireland

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

IF the comb is parallel to the rib AND there is enough offset or cast to the stock so that the side your cheek goes against is parallel to the side of the barrel, THEN the notion you can put your cheek anywhere on the stock and not affect your Point of Impact is true. You do have to rotate your head up or down around your cheek bone to compensate for cheek placement.

Stocks with more drop at heel are generally used in sports that do not allow a pre-mounted gun. They are also beneficial if you have a round or angular face. They let you line up the beads with your face facing more forward than the same cast or offset would allow with a parallel comb, because the stock meets your face well under your cheek bone. Gun mount is even more important with this type of stock.

If one works for you it's right. If it doesn't, it's wrong. Don't worry about what they tell you at the club. If I were you, I'd be very, very leery of taking advice from guys who have a rather different anatomy than you, and almost certainly see differently.

7. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Pat brought up a valid point. Monte Carlo stocks may or may not be parallel combs. Some stock especially trap stocks have reverse slant and tapper forward. Many stocks now (as in the case of the Berettas) are parallel neutral which for the most part, means your eye will stay centerd with the barrel axis even if you move you head foward or back slightly. Fitting a stock is a process that takes a little time. The latest trend is adjustable combs that can be raised, lowered and slanted to fit a particular shooter. Some guns come with them now and others chose to have the work done after market. My advise is talk to a succesful shooter or a reputable stock fitter. I do not claim to be a stock "expert" and defer to those who are in that buisness. Talk to a few shooters( especially other lady shooters in your case) who have had stocks fitted. Good luck.

8. Johnny C

Johnny C TS Member

Thanks for your advice everyone.

The stock definetely feels better and easier to mount with a half inch drop from front to back. When I have reverse drop I feel that very little of the stock is actually touching my face and the wood is on my jaw bone instea of under my cheek bone.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Karen

9. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

You're right....that was a Dumb Blond Stock Fitting Question! Sorry....just couldn't resist. Don't know what got into me today! It ain't Friday is it?

10. Smiley

Smiley Member

Kazza ,as you are setting up your comb to suit I would suggest that you place a small piece of foam rubber on the comb where the front of your cheek goes as this will give you a reference point to consistently place your cheek thereby removing one possible variable. Paul (ps the foam is just draught stop type that you pack round doors,a dealer in rubber goods probably has it in cut to length rolls)

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

irfner, with the comb and stock set as I stated, your head is not raised or lowered. You can cheek the stock at any position front to back and see the identical bead alignment, no matter how much rib you see between the beads. The only difference is if you crawl the stock you will be looking out the top part of your glasses unless you rotate your head up while keeping your cheekbone on the comb. That does not raise your eye.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The original intent of the parallel stock wasn't to tilt your head forward and keep the same sight alignment. Wearing a Tee shirt or a heavy jacket allows you to keep the head in the same up-right position on the comb when it's parallel, just a little forward or back on the comb for all seasons. That, without tilting the head forward which may change the eye elevation depending on how your cheek bone is formed. That was the explanation from Brent Umberger, who designed the "parallel" comb for Beretta.

I'd guess the reason Karen feels her stock with more drop (field style) is more comfortable, is because even a parallel comb will bite if the pitch is also wrong. Probably just placing her jaw against the stock and not her cheek bone? Doing just the jaw thing is guess work in getting it the same every time, especially when attacking a tough angle. JMHO Hap

13. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Some things seem be be overlooked here. There is more to shooting comfort than the style of the comb, field or parallel.

Topping the list is the position of the head and neck with the gun mounted. This also relates to the position of the eyes in their sockets - centered or looking "up".

This is related to the height of the gun mount and the length of the neck, both of which can affect how the cheek makes contact with the comb, which, in turn, can affect the height of the eye relative to the rib.

As was mentioned, the pitch of the stock can have a significant effect on facial comfort when shooting.

Most of these conditions and descriptions, we do not know. Too many of the possibilities are left without descriptions. (Meaningful descriptions are very difficult, so don't blame Karen.)

Karen: Sloping, field combs are not wrong. It is just a matter of parallel combs being beneficial when the stock fits the shooter and allows the shooter to use the correct gun mount, stance and body posture (shooting form.)

There is a growing tendency for shooters of low-gun disciplines to use guns with parallel combs for the valid reasons mentioned above. The importance of the comb's distance below the rib is more critical for parallel combed guns however, because the cheek cannot be moved forward or backward on the comb to place the eye at the correct height relative to the rib, which is extremely important for putting the pattern at the right height for trap's rising targets. (That opens yet another can of worms so I will not elaborate.)

Rollin

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If the blond is dumb enough some guy will usually buy her a custom made stock that fits her to a "T" and adjust it for her all she wants ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.