1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dulling a gloss finish ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by msmith, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmith

msmith Member

What is the best why to dull a finish on a hi gloss finish ?.

2. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

fine {oooo} steel wool.

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Lighter fluid applied with cheese cloth MAY work - depends on the actual finish...

Try a small area and see what happens - it should dull it or do nothing at all.

Steel wool is tough to control in that you are abrading the surface which should be shiny and you need to make this process uniform (tough to do - after all, you ultra-fine sand finishes to increase the gloss). The lighter fluid chemically reacts with the finish and takes away the gloss.

4. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Brownells sells a stock rubbing compound called "Triple F" or a finer version called "Five F" How much you rub determines the finish on the stock. Works great and not very expensive.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rotten-stone and Brownells rubbing compounds are designed to polish a stock, not dull it. Get some fine steel wool and put a paste wax on the wool. Rub with the grain. The wax reduces the "cutting" of the steel wool.

Pat Ireland

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

In the other century, I removed the glossy finish on several guns for compatriots. I always put the wood in the sun and painted it liberally with strong paint remover. Once all the clear was removed I just rubbed in a nice oil finish and got lots'a kudos for it. I've lost the interest in doing the work now though.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Before taking any of the well meant advice you asked for - what is the finish? Big difference between high gloss Tru Oil and Browning epoxy or a cut version of automotive clear coat. If you fool around with the epoxy, you might end up with a real mess and I don't have a clue about the clear coat stuff.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jim- Your comments make sense. The steel wool/paste way system is the only one I have ever used. One thing we frequently forget to add to posts about finishing wood is the many mistakes we made when we first began to learn how to do this work. I now think wood finishing is not too difficult but I did pay my dues over many years learning how to finish wood. I still have the steel racks in my shop that held 55 gallon drums of lacquer, sander sealer and thinner. Five gallon cans of other finishes were stored under the rack. I am now out of the wood working business and the racks are storage space for other things.

I often get frustrated when reading good advice about computer problems. The people tell me what to do but leave out the many details that they assume I already know. I guess I do exactly the same thing when talking about finishing gun stocks.

Pat Ireland

9. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Gary makes a good point....
    Kinda depends upon what the finish is. My personal experience is limited to knocking the gloss off the polyurethane finish on Remington hunting rifle stocks. For THAT finish I've had great success with 4-0 steel wool.Take it slow and be patient. You only want to take off the gloss,not go all the way to wood.

10. Bulldog50

Bulldog50 TS Member

One thing that could be used in lieu of the steel wool are Scotchbright scouring pads. I have used them in wood pool cue shafts to smooth (and dull) the high gloss finish. They are available in different coarses that are less harsh than steel wool. Try the paint section of Home Depot. Hope this helps.

11. 3357

3357 Member

I have had good success with Birchwood/Casey' "Stock Sheen" It is a mildly abrasive liquid, apply with a paper towel (which is also mildly abrasive) the results will be subtle. The more you rub the more it will tone down the shine.
    Jess

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There is a product called "Abralon" at the local pro shops where they sell bowling balls and equipment ... They use it to resurface bowling balls as well as other things ... It comes in 6" pads with different courseness and is also used by wood workers on fine to extra fine furniture ... 360, 500, 800, 1000, 2000, 3000, and 4000 grit are available ... I called around and got the advice from some professional people who do wood working and finishing ... I used it to take the shine off of an older desk where 1/2 of the shine had been worn off and it turned out beautiful ... It really works but it is not cheap ($4.97 per pad) ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I would go to an auto paint store and get a 1500 or finer grit wet paper and use it with light pressure evenly in a circular motion. If you then want to gloss it back up use a polishing compound.

14. Kolar Rocks

Kolar Rocks TS Member

Can anyone verify if Kolar uses "Poly" on their stocks? I have a couple of nicks that I would like to rub out and retouch but I'm not sure how if it's poly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
shotgun dulled finish
best way to dull a gloss paint finish
brownells stock rubbing compound

brownells triple f compound

dulling a gloss finish
dulling shine on gun camo
how to dull a gun stock
how to dull a tru oil finish