1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DUDS / Misfires & How to handle them

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by HSLDS, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Lots of people keep a brass rod in their shooting bag - just slide it into the barrel and it knocks the wad out.

They are often for sale here (look for 'wad knockerouter' or 'wad knockerouterer').

I think an empty shell with a primer is a bad idea - gets you in the habit of putting a 'live' shell in a gun with a plugged barrel - an accident waiting to happen...

David D

2. otnot

otnot Active Member

Well first of all I would look at your reloading practices. You need to do a final check of your reloads before you shoot them.

3. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

The reason there is a wad stuck in your barrel is because you did not put any powder into the hull. It should go without saying that if the wad did not clear the barrel before, it sure won't by shooting another primer only shell - and to the safety aspect of what you are contemplating I think you are out of your mind and I would never stand next to you on the line for fear of your gun blowing up and killing me. If you have a failure rate of 10 out of 1,000, I agree with otnot - you are doing something very wrong. You must find out why you are not getting a powder drop.

4. don q

don q TS Member

With a non-ported barrel simply blow from the muzzle end and the wad will come out. Doesn't taste that bad. don q

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a tool named WAD OUT. It is like a tent stake that folds up in 8 inch sections that folds out to 40 inches. They comes with a case that will hook to your shell belt and cost around $30.00. Jackie B.

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

A miss fire or dude must be treated as a live round. Keep the gun pointed down range until the perwon on the staion next to you says something. Open the cahmber and remove what you can if the shell has not opened look at the primer for an indent then throw the round away or take it home and open it up. Always check the barrel for any constriction like the was or shell base before loading antoher shell.

7. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

You can get a four inch long piece of 1/2" soft copper pipe (waterline)at the hardware; drill a 1/2" hole into a block of 2X4 about 3/4" deep; stick one end of the pipe into the 2x4 hole; melt some lead and pour the pipe full.

Wait for it to cool then cut and round the edges over smooth to slide down the barrel and knock out the wad. You can keep it in your vest or pocket to grab quick.

Whomever told you to put an old empty hull in and pop off a primer to push a wad out must be an idiot.

Don't drop the soap in front of don q.

Quit watching Oprah while reloading and listen to Gary & Bruce.

8. don q

don q TS Member

Darn capnrico you've got me pegged LOL. don q

9. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

10 out of a thousand it indeed a bad percentage of misfires attributed to poor reloading practices. That's like saying I only get pulled over one out of every 100 times I drink and drive. You like those odds?? There is a problem somewhere in your routine or with your components and you need to find out where that is. Damp hulls or no powder at all? Why are they not going bang? I personally have never had a misfire on a shotgun shell in over 100,000 rounds reloaded or metallic cartridges on over 500,000 rounds. You need to be asking yourself "Where is that powder if it's not in this shell?" Maybe in the next shell?? Reloading is not a task to take lightly and requires concentration and no interruptions while doing it. Most reloading problems are the result of failure to follow these two simple guidelines.

Jeff

10. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

well i will say one thing GOLDEX should be at federals factory the best i have found is a 1/4 x 8 in brass rod will work on ALL ga rick

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

trapshotr15- Most of us have let our powder bottle run dry while we keep on loading a few shells. It is frustrating and can give us some bad shells. Most of us have broken a finger off of the wad guide and loaded some bad shells. We make mistakes.

When it happens to me, somebody on the squad has a brass rod or even a small pocket knife that will act as a weight to get the wad out. Most clubs have some dowels around to push out wads. If the reloading mistakes were not something that happens to most of us now and then, these tools would not be so common around gun clubs. I do not carry one because so many others have them, I don't feel the need for my personal wad removal tool.

I don't like the idea of shooting out a stuck wad with a primer. It is safe but it looks a lot like something that is not safe. It would also be easier for me to carry a short brass rod than a primed only shell.

Pat Ireland

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

10 outof 1000?

I've been reloading for about 5 years and haven't had 10 shells without powder. Indeed, I can't remember one!

You need better Quality Assurance!

And I wouldn't recommend what don q said...

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've had a track record for a good many decades like Timb99s. But a squib load on the squad is not all that unusual from one shooter to the next. Usually we'll find dowels on the field for this purpose but in a pinch I've done exactly what don q suggests to keep things moving. I'll grip the fellows muzzle firmly (after ensuring that it's only a wad in the barrel of course), apply the lips to my hand at the thumb/forefinger area, and give a stiff blow which has always been successful. Even with some ported barrels I've managed to clear a wad using the off hand to sort of seal off the ports. The best part of this fix is that there isn't a 10 minute break looking for a fix when the club hasn't supplied dowels on the field.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Use the dowel or rod to push them out. I'm not too thrilled with the practice of blowing them out. Never a good idea to put a shotgun barrel in your mouth.

One thing that could be causing your occaisional missing powder charges is bridging in the hopper which can be resolved with a baffle and grounding the machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.