1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dud Winchester Primers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tjcutter, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

Had my 3rd dud Win. primer in the last 2 weeks. They were definitely hit well enough that they should have gone off. Anyone else seen this.

Tom

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Absolutely!! Had two of them two months ago in brand new Super Handicap shells during an ATA shoot in the same box [almost cost me a FF] and Winchester will blame your gun. When placed in another gun, they still did not fire. But they sent me a $10 coupon for new shells. Fred

3. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

I have had 1 Dud,,but I am having a lot of trouble with "Recessed Primers, in the primer pocket, not in the shell. Had 8 out of 300 last Sat. luck had it there was not more than 2 per 25, lost no targets.

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

That was exactly the problem... recessed primers. Fred

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

snglfoot and Fred, what type of loaders are you guys using? Thanks. Hap

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Hap: We are talking about FACTORY shells! I have Spolar and it is more reliable than the factory. The factory [Winchester] blamed my gun [Mach One] even though I told them that the shells would not fire in my Beretta DT10 as well. I have had no problems with Federal or Remington shells. Fred

7. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Hap, mine is a MEC 9000G,,,I had no problem for the first yr. or so,,just the last 6-8 mo.s,,,,

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Thanks Fred and snglfoot! The only Winchester primers I have left are the old type of 209s. A nephew used those new type of Win primers and had several mis-fires also. Looks as though the problem with primers is in all AA ammo and not just with what's sold for re-loads. At this rate it won't take too long to destroy the reputation the old timers at Winchester built. That's a real shame too! Hap

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Remingtons are worse. Federals are nearly flawless!!

10. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

4 more this week-end (out of 200),,,This is getting a little hard to handle,,,I'll beat the State shoot in 2 weeks,,, plan to talk to gun-smith, any one else that will listen, to try to solve this problem. Maybe changing brands is the answer.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have shot about 20 flats of new AA shells this year. Last week at the NC State, I had the first shell that did not go off (primer set too deep in the shell). It was a big problem for me. I shot all week with John Hiter and I kept giving him a hard time because he was shooting discount shells and I was shooting premium shells. All of his went off. Now, I will get picked on by John for the next couple of years.

Pat Ireland

12. Bluedog

Bluedog TS Member

have had 6 in the last 800 I reloaded . I'm thinking of trying Wolfe primers

13. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

12 years of reloading with 209 Primers. Not one dud with either factory shells or reloading with a MEC or Dillon. Dave T.

14. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I had 3 in the last 5000 I bought the cup wad too deep on the ones that I had trouble with and no Winchester didnt give me anything either.

15. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Two more factory shells failed this Saturday from the same box [Super Handicap], same flat of shells. Primers set into deep. Mach One would not shoot them although dimpled them; a Perazzi MX2000 set them off. I think the problem is endemic to certain run of shells with primers set too deep AND brass base too thin so certain guns cannot hit primers fully. I have four boxes left from this flat and will shoot them for practice as I have no confidence that they will go bang. I will not reload any gray hulls from this flat as I cannot trust the primer hole seating. All red AA's [Lights} worked just fine and have not had any trouble with factory or reloading. Fred

16. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Of my last 8 "Duds", 4 were gray, (7/8 oz) and 8 were red (1 oz),,,so don't think the color makes a difference,,,James Flynn at CA state shoot, said he can fix it for me,,,Gun??? We'll see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.