1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Duck Stamps

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hmb, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Went to a sale over the weekend and picked up an interesting item that I am trying to identify. A picture frame containing 46 mint duck stamps mounted on a cloth background. Stamps are from 1935 to 1980, one for each year, mounted in a row of 6 at top and then 5 rows of 8 stamps each. The lower right corner of the frame on the cloth background has the inscription, American Museum of Wildlife Art.

Any info would be appreciated. HMB

2. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

A Google search produced the link above about the tax-exempt status of the American Museum of Wildlife Art in Frontenac, MN.

There is a National Museum of Wildlife Art in Jackson Hole, WY. It's at the north end of town, and is well worth the visit if you're ever in the area.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

a valuable set. hang onto them.

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If the stamps are reproductions (not real issued Federal Duck Stamps) then that collection is not worth much.

DU used to auction repro sets at their fundraisers in the past.

Curt

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. That's what I'm trying to find out. They look real, but I don't want to disturb them in their present set up. HMB

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Take 'em to Vegas to the Pawn Stars, Rick will check out for you. LOL

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Best thing to do is look for a local stamp collector business and get his opinion and price . Don`t sell it to him and I`m sure you won`t but he can tell if they are in fact real and not replica`s . Glue on the back of each would definitely let you know they are real. They should be in a plastic folder just for stamps . If they are glued onto anything , they are worthless to any collector . I have quite a few and when first purchased , I stuck them on my license and signed them until someone told be to press my luck and put them in a folder against the license and file them away after hunting season in my stamp album .

8. missed some

missed some TS Member

thats why i used to buy 2 stamps, one for the license and to sign, which if you don't and the warden feels like it he can ticket you for not doing this, and one to keep, had about 30 years worth and lost em in a move, oh well. mark crist

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I would have liked to have picked those up my self. If they are real KEEP THEM.

10. Murphy

Murphy Member

Speaking of stamps, went to 5 post offices, none of which had the current duck stamp. Had to call the post office complaint number to arrange a stamp pick up at a postal office near me. Even went to the main post office for city of Louisville and they had none either (also didn't seem to care either). Last year I bought the stamp, signed it, put it on license and then realized they had sold me the previous years stamp. Try explaining that to the game warden. I already feel better getting this off my chest, now all I need is ducks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.