1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Duck Hunting w/ Old Guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Had a ball this week with a trap buddy while duck hunting with 100 year old hammer damascuss doubles. Black powder, paper hulls bismuth shot and card and fiber wads. Very effective too! Something special when the sun is just coming up and a belch of flame and a plume of smoke rolls across the duck hole!
    My gun came from Alaska and I always think what stories it could tell. Boy I wish I knew who owned it and what it has seen.

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I like to catch bass on old fishing lures like the Neal spinner, a white wood Bomber, various Heddon River Runts and the Zara Spook (still being made). IMO, fish cannot tell time and neither can ducks.

When you go up into the Kentucky hills, some of the still hands are equipped with old hammer style double barrels. They can't tell time either but they can carry a hundred pound bag of sugar through the woods without leaving tracks. Be careful because them old boys can shoot. They have the National Guard pinned down near Hazard, KY.

After a feud, it is sometimes hard to identify bodies as all have the same DNA and few if any have dental records.

As backwards as some of us are, we still believe in the 2nd Amendment and say grace before meals.

Both of our US Senators are Republican as are 5 of 6 US Representatives.

Ed Ward

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Old technology can be a lot of fun.

I have not had the time lately, but I used to do a lot of hunting with blackpowder cartridge firearms. Small game, varmints and deer.

Many of the bullets are cast with very soft alloy in antique molds. Some of the guns no longer have factory ammo available, and some require custom cases, since the mainstream factories dropped them many decades ago.

There are some drawbacks. Like needing to make sure the gun and cases get cleaned immediately, so you have to plan your time carefully. Blackpowder is also not a good idea in the dry season, because of the burning ejecta issue. And these are not firearms you'd want to expose to rain, because of their value. So the shooting season for them is kinda limited here.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Nice thread. I have a desire to take my old 16 ga stenes single shot rabbit hunting again like I did when I was a youngster. Killed a gazillion Indiana rabbits with it

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

My dads old sxs stevens 16 ga is still a sweet gun to carry around. I sort of collect guns from family of old guys that I knew loved to hunt. It's almost like having them walk with you again. Bill

6. craigos

craigos Member

Love to do this - duck hunt with a polymer/camo beretta but would love to go out with an old side by side one day. Do have an a5 i want to take a crack at them with also ...

7. Mapper

Mapper Member

I used to hunt ducks and geese with a Damascus barreled 10 bore L.C. Smith. Brass shells and all. If I pointed it right, something fell. Aside from the messy clean up, I don't think I was under gunned. I sold it, but still have some old doubles.
    However, I don't hunt waterfoul any more.

8. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

[​IMG]

I am so fortunate to have received some history on that old 10ga hanging over the mantel. It won many "Live Bird" shoots in Colorado over the years, and I have the gentleman's name to go with it...Not too often does this kind of information go with the gun...

Dave in SC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.