1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Duck Hunters vs. Homeowners

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GunDr, Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Fairfax Duck Hunters Target Of Neighborhood's Anger.....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/19/AR2008071901745.html

"This is a conflict between two types of activity: between the right to have quiet in one's home and the right of others to hunt on the river,"

Here are a few comedy snippits......

"It's very disturbing to be trying to write Christmas cards and to hear shooting," said Elizabeth Ketz-Robinson, 59, a psychotherapist who lives on the water with her husband, Don, and three golden retrievers. "I want to tear my hair out sometimes."

"We're trying to find a happy balance with wildlife so we make it a happy place for the duck," she said. "And then there's a duck blind right in front of our place."

2. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I don't know how hunters are ever not going to clash with those in the million dollar homes. Hunting ducks has been and will be a passion that some take up for their lifetime. When the rivers edge is filled with small estates that people have to have nowdays it's going to be a problem for those that hunt and shoot ducks. Some of the blinds are near the shoreline and those hunters have to be very careful of the direction they are shooting. I have many friends that have the passion on the Illinois river and they live and breath duck hunting. Most of the hardy longshot shooters use a ten guage and if one is standing off the river and hears the vollys that are shot at ducks the thumps of the 10 guages are easily recognized. They are loud and when I hear them I think smoked mallard. A fellow I was working with last winter brought in some smoked mallard ducks to share with us and it was the best I have ever tasted. I guess the local laws will have to regulate how close to shore and how many blinds will be erected in a given area. I know some of my best hunting memories are of duck hunting with my Dad and his friends. I hope they never stop us from hunting ducks. Dan

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

It always amazes me how many shooting operations attempt to hide from or ignore neighbors. If a range or in this case, a blind is near to property, consider introducing yourself, inviting the property owner to hunt or offer some of the harvest during the season.

The old adage... "keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer..." is never more true than in shooting sports and the neighbors.

Jay

4. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"I guess the local laws will have to regulate how close to shore and how many blinds will be erected in a given area."
    Every state has laws already on the books concerning how close to inhabited structures you can discharge a firearm during a hunt.
    Maximum blind density???? ...the hunters take care of that issue all by themselves. :)

Unfortunately, hunters vs. homeowners is never a good thing.....and the hunter always loses this particular battle in the end. :(

I thought the bit about the psychotherapist was priceless...especially considering her choice of pets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.