1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

duck guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by James.c, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James.c

James.c Member

hey was just wondering what everyone uses for ducks these days. right now ive got a mossberg 500 but am getting a remington 887 nitro mag soon. lets see some guns!!!
    [​IMG]

2. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Can't go wrong with a pump gun. I shoot a Charles Daly Field Hunter(1187 knock off). All synthetic, but great gun. Don't get caught up in the whole 3 1/2 inch fad. When you get into a lot of shooting you'll be glad you were popping 3 inch shells all morning. Duck hunting starts next Saturday in Jersey and me and my dad will be out popping woodies and teals. He's getting up in age and time together is more important than anything. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

3. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Use a Winchester Super X3 for ducks and geese.

DoubleAuto

4. REM3

REM3 Member

My Benelli super black eagle or my old rem 1100

5. RRA

RRA TS Member

Winchester Super X2. It is chambered for 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 inch shells.I have never shot a more reliable gun and have never had a jam. I can not say that about any other semi-auto I have owned.

This past Saturday was the duck opener in Utah. Three of us shot 15 ducks and 2 geese. Not a bad day considering the temperatures crept into the 80's.

6. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

The Winchester Super X3 is a great gun. I like a pump also, but if its and autoloader I will go with the Winchester. Have the Benelli and Beretta, but the X3 shoots as advertised and have shot it in freezing conditions.

7. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have owned and shot most every 3-3 1/2" goose and duck guns. While most are good I have quickly found that Benelli is the best. I own a super black eagle and a Vinci and the more I shoot the Vinci I am convinced it is the best hunting gun made to date. For some reason it just fits me to a tee. I like it a lot. My son shoots a x2 and it also has been a great gun.

8. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I've used a variety of guns for ducks over the years. With the exception of a Browning Superposed, every other gun I've used has been a pump action. I've used a 16 gauge Ithaca M37, A 12 gauge Browning BPS and a Model 12 Heavy Duck. The BPS has seen some serious use and I can vouch for the durability of this model. Something else-nearly all my ammo is 2 3/4". I've used 3" steel BB's in the past for late season geese, but othewise I've found the shorter shell to be just fine, as long as I do my part.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Both the aristocracy and gentry use side by sides in the field. The commoners would be well served by a Remington 870.

Pat Ireland

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with a pump gun if you can handle the recoil. My favorite is a Beretta Extrema. Softest shooting, easy to clean, reliable, adjustable POI. The down side is that the receiver is long, so get a 26 or 28" barrel.

11. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I just bought the Beretta A400 Xplor. It shoots soft and cycles every 12 gauge shell made with no adjustments to the gun. I got the 28 inch barrel and it comes with three tubes and take down case. I also have a Browning BPS in 10 gauge but the Beretta will keep it in the safe this year.

Courtney

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I have the true duck gun, Long Tom Single Shot 12 ga with a 40" barrel

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

A Winchester Model 12 3" mag heavy duck gun with the barrel opened up to .024" to handle steel shot. Why mess with success??? Dan Thome (Trap2)

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My Model 12 3" Heavy Duck gun...or my Model 21 if I still hunted...

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

So many choices.... My Sx-1 with a 28 inch modified choke and 1 1/4 of copper #4's. That is a mallard stacking combo. Jeff

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Copper #4's? you mean copper plated steel, right?

17. 6878mm

6878mm Member

ANY duck that wasn`t shot with an English SxS , JUST doesn`t taste right

18. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

The real, hardcore duck hunters use pump and semi-auto shotguns. Those with break action shotguns are wannabee's.

DoubleAuto

19. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I've shot virtually every 3-3-1/2" gun out there on waterfowl: 2-Benelli SBE, Beretta Xtrema, 870 Super mag, Winchester SX-2, Mossberg 935, Mag 10, Beretta 391, 1100, 870, & 11-87 Super mag. Up until last week (the duck opener) the 11-87 Supermag was my choice. It malfunctioned & I did a total break down & clean-up & it still malfunctions. It's back to the $125 870 Express for me !

20. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I use the best gun that was ever made for ducks. Browning A-5 mag. I also have a Rem SP-10 for those long shots for geese. The A-5 does great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.