1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DTL trap shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ntgr8, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Jan 29, 2010
    I've seen several mentions of DTL or Down The Line trap shoots. I've never heard this before. could someone explain what it (DTL) is???
  2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Try the link above. Looks like ATA with faster birds. 1oz shells but you get two shots. Points are given instead of hits. Looks like a great game.

3. citadel

citadel Active Member

May 23, 2009
    Sacramento California
    I live in New Zealand a part of the year and DTL (Down the Line) is the standard trap game there. The version we play there is similar to the one described in the previous post but you count the hits like we do here and it does not matter if it is with one shot or two with 25 as a "possible" or perfect score. The key difference is that you change stations after every shot so in one round you make 25 moves.

It is much more challenging than our standard 16 yd trap (it is shot at 15 meters) and I can tell you that even the very best shots need that second barrel from time to time as the birds are much faster, wider and higher and lower. It is more like wobbles. It is also played at handicap up to the meter equivalent of 27 yds.

There is a version where they count points. Three point for a first barrel hit, and two points for a second barrel hit and nothing for a miss so the best score for a round can be as much as 75 points.

It is fun and we shot in the wind and in the pouring rain. there is no such thing as a "rain day". We wear rain gear and broad brimed hats and boy does the water just pour off us at times but any day shooting is better than one not shooting.

It is very easy to take guns into New Zealand. The airlines will carry them in locked hard side cases and the fee to bring them in is about $20.00. You get a one year gun license and import permit at Auckland Airport. The paperwork is simple and available on the web. You need that permit to shoot at any club and you must show the permit to buy shells which are available at any sporting goods store and from the manufacters if you buy in quantity.

Doug Sutherland
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dtl trap