1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DT10 trap / Kolar opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RAScott, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAScott

RAScott Member

I am posting for a friend of mine he shoot competion, he is in the $10,000.00 dollar range and "looking for your opinions". He is also thinking a K80.

He is currently shooting a cynergy o/u. He may stick with a o/u only to keep the price within his budget. Pros and cons combo or o/u only and model K80 kolar or DT10 combo.

Bob s

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

If he doesn't mind used, then $10K buys any combo on the market. If he wants new, then it's much harder.

The DT10 is rare around these parts, but those who have it, like it.

Both K guns are more popular and have their loyal following. Both are excellent, so he needs to try them and see what he likes. Also check out Perazzi, lots of really nice combos can be had for that price.

There is no right answer, he needs to try them. All 4 combos are very different in their dynamics, but all 4 are excellent.

I've also asked in the past about just shooting an O/U and the answer is basically if you can afford it, get the combo. Otherwise the O/U will be perfectly fine to shoot and then you can add the single barrel later to make it into a combo. There are differences in the dynamics of swing between the two, but really nothing wrong with just using an O/U.

But again, with a $10K budget he can get a mint combo from any of the brands.

3. Merlyn

Merlyn Well-Known Member

The Kolar has much better resale than the DT10. A used DT combo should run 4-5500. A used Kolar combo will go 65-9500. Most dealers don't like the cenergy and will not put much in one. K-80 trap specials are in the 10,000 used range and the std K-80's run 55-9500 depending on age/cond. etc............merlyn

4. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

So there you go....if he like the 687, then the DT10 is a great value at $5K. However, if the urge and wallet can afford it and he liked the Kolar then those can also be had for great deals while still well under his budget. There was a recent sale of a super clean Kolar combo (regular) for like $7.5 with the Max TA's going for around $10K.

5. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

I just have to say that both responders so far make good sense without promoting any of the brands and make realistic statements re purchase prices, options to consider, etc, with the buyers personal preference being the key after examining each gun. There is no "best" gun for everyone, but quite a few real contenders out there to consider. The manufacturers have done a good job giving us all these choices, so handle and shoot as many as you can and you can't really make a bad choice.

Again, a free opinion...no charge.

Larry

6. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

It would be a big mistake to spend that kind of money without shooting both guns. I was shooting a Perazzi MX 15 when I decided to go to a combo. I shot a Kolar combo and it just kicked the crap out of me. Granted it was someone elses gun, but I was not happy. The DT 10 out of the box, fit me like a glove and was "my gun". We all modify our guns after a while and the DT 10 has taken all my modifications and never failed.

JON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.