1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DT10 Question with Photo?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich C, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich C

Rich C TS Member

I hope this photo loads. Is this gap at the fore end normal?
    richc_2010_07091.jpg

richc_2010_07091.jpg

2. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Nope!@ Tom Rhoads

3. claybustin hoosier 52

claybustin hoosier 52 Member

4. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

It is not normal --and then again beretta wood to metal finish is not the best --- maybe the fitting gets better above the dt10

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

No

Ask them to take $1000 off the price and you'll take it as-is!

6. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

NO. It looks like someone try to fit the forearm to the gun. There is a serial number on the gun that will match the number in the forearm. Beretta DT10 have great fit and finish. This is not factory work. If you can get a price on the repair see if you can get that off the price of the gun.

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Yeah, something funky going on there. Maybe someone did a little mix n' match, which doesn't always work out with Berettas. Like Kraiza said, the DT usually has very good fit and finish out of the factory.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I don't think that I've ever laid eyes on a Beretta with that poor of fit. definitely something going on here.

ss

9. Rich C

Rich C TS Member

Thank You all for your responses. They are asking $5799.00.

If the forend issue wasn't there would this be a good price, it is new.

I thought about asking for some money off but I know myself and I couldn't live with that gap so I would never be comfortable with that gun.

Is this an indication of a "Friday Gun"?

I'm thinking about asking them to ship it back to Beretta and having them fix it then I will buy it.

Will Beretta fix it?

Thank You very much,

Rich Covich

10. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Here is a DT10L I have for sale in the shop. 30" bbl less than 1000 targets shot with it. $6800 + shipping / Insurance. Scott (919) 774-7080

cykick_2008_030316.jpg

cykick_2008_030317.jpg

cykick_2008_030318.jpg

cykick_2008_030319.jpg

11. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Very poor fit. Send it back to Beretta. Fred

12. tdhusker

tdhusker TS Member

I saw a very attractively priced 687 SPII 20/28 two barrel set at Sportsmans'
    Warehouse in Loveland CO that looked just like that last spring. I thought it was odd, being a new gun on the shelf but when I stopped into another dealership that had one listed (in Casper WY), it didn't have that big forend gap but had the most pathetic looking butt stock. Cut cross grained. I would've been reluctant to shoot it much because I guarantee that at some point the stock will crack across the grain. Extremely poor quality on what should be higher grade shotguns.

I've not seen any examples that poor on their higher grade guns since but I can tell you they put some amazingly poor quality guns out of the factory in the last year or so. Amazing because these were not lower tier Berettas.

13. billdennis

billdennis Member

I would see if there is a Y at the end of the ser# under the latch. If so that would be a demo gun or a blem. They do sell them from time to time.

14. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Guys, On all Beretta gun designs you need to install two wood screws in the back of the forearm iron to draw up the forend so they won't move and eventually break in two.

Just like the Kolar forearm iron is secured with two wood screws. Nearly ALL Beretta forearms will crack eventually from excessive shooting without this added feature. Requires having a gunsmith or machinist drill the forearm iron.
    Incidentally adding this modification would most likely eliminate the gap described in the original post here.
    Phil Simms Stockmaker

15. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

What??? I've never heard of that modification before and I know a lot of guys that shoot Beretta guns. None of them have cracked forearms.

Can you post a pic?

16. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Take the 3rd gun down..it looks like a CG....

17. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Rastoff, Next time you go to a really big shoot take a look at all the used beretta trap gun forearms on the racks at the gun dealers and I guarantee you will find cracked forearms. Been doing this over 25 years--Beretta forearm design is a very poor one! Unlike Kolars,Perazzi and some others which are designed very well to hold up under extended shooting, Beretta design has only a rounded latch casing and the rosettes to keep the wood from shifting forward upon recoil and eventually cracking or breaking.

Incidentally ask Leo Harrison how many forearms he went through before he had this type modification added to his DT-10????

Just the facts! Phil S.

18. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I agree with Phil! I have a DT10 that had the cracked forearm before I bought it! Before I shot it 5000-6000 times it had two or three gaping cracks! I tried an epoxy repair and even imbedded a cross strengthening pc of aluminum that did not help! Finally, I "dremelled" the hell out of it, imbedded a (looked like an I-beam) piece of aluminum and acraglassed the hell out of it to keep it from getting worse! Forearm now holding but of course looks like hell! Tom Rhoads

19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Steve W.. has had that done on the old cat3 Perazzi forends..that had a similar problem.. Look for the pictures on past threads... All Good.. Mike

20. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I'm not doubting you Phil, I was just curious to hear about it because I haven't seen it before.

I would still like to see a pic so I can get a better idea of what needs to be done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta stockbending wood to metal gap

dt10 forearm cracks

stockbending metal to wood

wood rifle stock forearm stabilizer imbedded aluminum i-beam