Status
Not open for further replies.

DT-11 Trap Picture

7K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Hitapair 
#1 ·
I like it ...

-- Z

#2 ·
<a href=http://www.beretta.com/Long-guns/Competition-guns/Over-and-Unders/DT-11-Trap/index.aspx?m=82&f=2&id=1509&did=40756>Beretta</a>

From the Beretta website about the barrels on the new DT-11.

""Steelium Pro marries the benefits of the Steelium Technology to a new barrel internal profile.
The result is a creation of a progressive conicity that allows the DT11 to fix new performance standards. The new Beretta DT11 barrels boast a new internal profile with a unique, progressive conicity resulting in....""

REDUCED PERCEIVED MUZZLE RISE

INCREASE IN SHOOTING STABILITY

INCREASED PENETRATION AND TARGET BREAKAGE

QUICKER FIRST SHOT AND SECOND TARGET ACQUISITION

Good grief!

#4 ·
DT11 is a very well made shotgun, I would consider owning one, but all these fancy worded features are just sales pitch, and they are hardly new. They can't prove there're meaningful advantages except making buyers feel better. :)

#10 ·
Taper bored barrels isn't a new kid on the block!!

Winchester model 37s had this on a few guns in the 30s! Also a few model 97s had taper bored barrels much earlier.

Arnold Reigger shot one of the taper bored 37s till he wore it out.

I like the looks and features of the DT-11 except the fragile rib end, looks like it needed another post or two to add more strength way out there in end bend land?

Are you guys aware of the very first type of shotgun competitions and what it consisted of? It wasn't pointing skill, it was a penetration test to see which gun shot the hardest with like loads! I still do these kinds of tests on my shotguns to this day! Shotshells loaded as exact as possible and shot through two different models and one will penetrate better than the other! In the fifties, Remington did this test by building two identical Remington 870s to as near EXACT specks as possible! In their penetration tests of these two identical shotguns, one consistently shot harder than the other!! Makes more difference on live game than clay targets but harder is harder so who knows?

Hap

#12 ·
Have handled a DT 11 nicely balanced,the action is slightly wider than the DT 10 .Its been widened to the original 680(pre 90's)dimensions I would think which will make it much stronger,I have 1985 682x which I 've owned from new and have only replaced the bottom barrel ejecter twice had a new one size larger locking fork to take up wear plus a new set of hammer springs in it's entire life.The pivot pins in the trigger group were replaced in 1989 due to wear(I think they were to soft)by a German toolmaker that is a friend,the firing pins are still original.The gun was gone over and serviced by a Beretta gunsmith and was found to be OK

#13 ·
Hap - didn't know about penetration test to see which gun shot the hardest with like loads ... I love learning something new every day. Thanks!!

Smiley, was the DT-11 you handled a "trap model?" I'm curious to hear your impressions of the 'hanging rib.'

Great thoughts and insights from all ... I wonder how much market analysis, market research, and US-specific customer research was done. Beretta is a global company; but, the US is one of the largest global markets.

-- Z

#15 ·
Tim, you're correct. So, must we assume all full choked barrels at 30 inches or 34 all penetrate equally with like loads? Not exactly! Measured as close as humanly possible! There will be one gun that usually penetrates much better than others. Mine is a Winchester 30 inch full model 12 that I use to compare others to, even my 34 inch full choked barrels.

Until you've performed such tests,,,,well it's merely going on something you've read or been told by others?

The test Remington did with the two 870s? One continually penetrated better than the other made to the same measurements as the other, close as possible! All barrels of like length and chokes aren't created equally nor do they perform the same. One may kill while the other will merely cripple with like loads!

Please, don't take my word for this, try it with different guns and loads yourself? Then you can tell me what's going on, Remington couldn't figure it out.

Hap

#20 ·
No problem Z,
I liked the rib. As I mentioned in the other thread, my current trap gun is a 682LTD with an unsingle barrel with adjustable rib. The transition from my unsingle rib to the rib on the DT11 Trap was quite easy - they pretty much look the same while shooting.

As for the durability of the rib, it didn’t seem to be too fragile to me. I’m fairly certain that the rib is the same material as the rib on my unsingle. It’s not magnetic, so it may be aluminum, but I don’t know for sure. The material, whatever it is, does have some flex between supports, but it’s spring-like in that it won’t stay deformed. If I recall correctly, the adjustment hardware is the same knob and threaded post as what is on the current unsingle barrels, and makes for a sturdy connection. As pointed out above, the end of the rib is exposed and certainly could catch on something if you are not careful. I think that it would take quite a tug to cause damage, and this is certainly only an opinion on my part.

Franktri,
Steelium refers to the manufacturing process that Beretta uses to make the barrels rather than the type of metal that is used. The Steelium barrels are a tri-alloy steel that includes Nickel, Chromium & Molybdenum.

Regards,
Brad

#24 ·
Hap, I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just pointing out something that seemed obvious.

How one barrel might cause the same shells to have a higher muzzle velocity than another one of like specs is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.