1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DT-10 Opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TJG728, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TJG728

TJG728 TS Member

Was wondering what you experts thinkg of a DT-10 combo. Pros and cons, worth the price, known problems etc.... I'm shooting a KX-5 now, need a O/U for doubles and think the one gun philosophy is the way to go. I'd get the unsingle w/ adjustable rib. The combo I'm looking at is pretty pricey and I'd have to trade guns to get it, so I'm thinking long and hard. Would probably have to trade two CG Summit's to afford the DT-10. Thanks in advance for any guidance. Tom

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have been looking at DT-10's and the prices are very affordable to almost scary because they are so cheap ... The DT-10 does not hold its value so if you are looking to buy one plan on keeping it which is what I plan on doing when I find the right one ... I have seen new demo guns as cheap as $5995 and of course there are always the ones that are worth more used than they were new ... I have been told they are built like tanks from some of the people who own and shoot them ... I am waiting for some photos that I have coming from California of one so I will have another one to put in with the mix and figure out which one I am going to buy ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The gun is good enough for Leo Harrison. He could shoot any gun he wants. Whats to question. He puts more mileage on his gun than most of us could ever think of.

Phil Berkowitz

4. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Love mine. I bought it new at Jaqua's for what I thought was a very fair price. I'll never sell it, so I am not concerned with re-sale values. Having said that, you don't see the used ones go for too much under $5k unless there is something off about them.

5. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Phil,

I like the DT-10 and think it looks like a pretty good gun with a good lock system. However, do you think or know if the DT-10 Leo Harrison shoots is a stock gun or has it been fitted, improved or tweaked in any other way?

My personal opinion of Leo Harrison (without ever having watched him or met him) is that Mr. Harrison is one of those guys who has enough God given talent, experience, and quality practice (work ethic to fire millions of rounds as if he were in a shoot off at the Grand) that he can win with any gun he picks up with little or no practice with it. It wouldn't suprise me if Beretta pays him to shoot the gun, and I think that would be advertising dollars well spent.

Considering all the rounds that Mr. Harrison shoots, (again from what I have heard) I would interested to know if Beretta re-works and/or services the gun on any regular basis, or is he out there day in and day out pounding rounds out of just one gun with nothing more than routine cleaning, oiling and grease? Just wondering, because I have heard many of the same pros and cons about a DT-10. If the gun truly is shooter friendly and durable enough to handle all the rounds Leo Harrison can put through it, then the re-sale issue would be of little consequence.

Currently, I am a KX-5 shooter like TJG728 (Tom) and have considered moving to a combo in a DT-10, K-80 or Blaser F3.

Thanks for any information you have in advance, John E.

P.S. if Mr. or Mrs. Harrison has any info to add or PM me with on their thoughts about the DT-10 I would appreciate any knowledge you can send my way.

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I had a new DT10 for sporting clays about a year ago and it was double firing on me.....I heard about these types of incidents from other shooters as well. The guy who sold it to me said there is cosmoline on the trigger group and it needed to be completely wiped off and it would not double fire. Sad to say, I ended up selling it, could not get past the mental block of thinking it will double on me.

would like to know if this is a common ailment of the DT10 or just a fluke from some production guns. I thought mine was well made. How much time can pass by before it needs a rebuild?

7. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

The KX 5 is as good as it gets....don't give it up. Try some O/U for your doubles.....I've shot trap off and on for several years and had many different guns, including KX 5, DT 10, Kolars, 687s but the KX 5 beats them all...a DT 10 is a great and beautiful gun, and an O/U for doubles, 5 stand, sporting etc....would be a great addition......WC

8. BWPBeretta

BWPBeretta TS Member

I have a DT10 combo and have shot it for the last 4 years. I have done no changes to it and have shot it very well. I think it is an excellent value for the price you pay as long as it is not msrp. I have probably shot 45,000 rounds through the gun.

As to doubling I have had that experience and it was because the cocking rods had worn and thus were shortened. It started with me closing the gun but hammers were not set so I just thought I did not open the gun all of the way. Would open and then close and would work fine. It was intermittent. Eventually when I closed the gun (fortunately on singles) the gun fired. Good safety lesson to make sure gun is in safe direction. Went to Beretta at Grand for service and told them of problem. They serviced gun and things were fine for a couple of months and then did it 2 times in a row. I sent gun to Beretta in MD and complained. Told them no matter what they said they needed to check cocking rods as I thought the hammer and sear were not making correct contact. Turned out this was problem so they changed the rods but also insisted on changing the sears. Only other issue is broke a hammer spring and was replaced for 5 dollars. Lot cheaper than a perazzi spring.

All in all I would definitely buy this gun again.

9. BWPBeretta

BWPBeretta TS Member

I have a DT10 combo and have shot it for the last 4 years. I have done no changes to it and have shot it very well. I think it is an excellent value for the price you pay as long as it is not msrp. I have probably shot 45,000 rounds through the gun.

As to doubling I have had that experience and it was because the cocking rods had worn and thus were shortened. It started with me closing the gun but hammers were not set so I just thought I did not open the gun all of the way. Would open and then close and would work fine. It was intermittent. Eventually when I closed the gun (fortunately on singles) the gun fired. Good safety lesson to make sure gun is in safe direction. Went to Beretta at Grand for service and told them of problem. They serviced gun and things were fine for a couple of months and then did it 2 times in a row. I sent gun to Beretta in MD and complained. Told them no matter what they said they needed to check cocking rods as I thought the hammer and sear were not making correct contact. Turned out this was problem so they changed the rods but also insisted on changing the sears. Only other issue is broke a hammer spring and was replaced for 5 dollars. Lot cheaper than a perazzi spring.

All in all I would definitely buy this gun again.

10. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

No opinions here just facts. Mine would routinely open in the rain and I could not keep a release trigger in it. It was an early top single combo. Sad part is is I shot it as well as any gun I have ever had. They say you can fix the unlocking by having an ASE 90 lockibng block hand fitted (cole gunsmithing-maine) 800+ d0llars. All the trigger smiths I contacted said that there was not enough room in the trigger frame to put in a reliable release trigger. One of my two triggers stayed in the mail all of one shooting season. Other than that I loved the gun. I had a left hand factory stock for it.

11. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I traded for one a yr. ago last Sept. at the MO Fall Hdc. I was shooting a KS-5 special and decided I wanted a combo. It is 34 unsingle 32 O/U. Has gracoil adjustable butt plate. I had Graco metal hardware installed in place of the plastic comb adjustment at the KS state shoot last year and had Beretta go through it at the Grand last year. Everything was good but they adjusted the timing on the O/U bbls. The guns are certainly well built, but I found it to be just a little too heavy for me. Hate to part with it,but am considering selling it. Presently shooting a TMX.

Steve

12. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I liked mine. I had a DT-10 Trident Unsingle. I traded it for another gun because I just couldn't get the right hand stock to fit; I'm a lefty.

Big Leo's gun is tweaked. He has a Stock Lock stock on it by Phil Sims.

13. JONNY D

JONNY D TS Member

tom,
    i dont know what stock you get there in the us but if its the same as we get in ozz theres a reason there cheap second hand!! and its not that there great either, i dont know of any one here that owns one that has not had trouble with there triggers!!! not one, if you must have a beretta buy a second hand ase 90 they were a much better gun built up to a standard not down to a price.
    save up and buy another k gun whould be my advice!!

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I am amazed at how many people criticize the gun and they have never shot one.. OH but wait... they have friends who shot a DT10 or used to own one or someone at the gun club had one. Opinions are like A-- H----... everyone has one. Fred

15. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I would buy another DT-10 in a heartbeat if I could get it with a left hand stock. I've seen two that when I called on were sold just prior to my calling.

In retrospect, I should have just kept mine and saved up for a custom stock. Live and learn.

16. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I have one and love it. Have 30" (trap) and 32" (sporting clays) O/U sets for it.

I bought it used and it was perhaps the best deal I've ever gotten on a gun.

Early ones had a problem with doubling - can't say for sure if it was a sear or a spring, but Beretta stood behind them and repairs were free. More recently they have been charging, but it is for a problem on a gun that is nearing ten years old or older (their warranty is typically three years).

Remember that if you send a gun to Beretta they completely REBUILD it - for about $200 in parts, plus labor and shipping. Other companies offer 'life time' warranties, but they tend to replace the single broken part and return the gun to you (OK - so C/G may be different here...).

Had a left handed stock made for it and I've never looked back.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Fred,

I got the pictures and tried to call you twice, says the mail box is full ... I'm interested,we have to talk ... I figure if Big Leo can shoot one all I have to do is gain about 100 pounds and I will be able to shoot one like him ... lol ... Thanks, WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Big Leo was buddies with Brad Dysinger. When Brad went to work for Beretta,the natural thing to do was to switch Leo over to Beretta. When you shoot like Leo, your guns come very, very cheap as does your ammo, if you know what I mean. Lets face it, would you want Leo shooting your products. He has them gone over frequently, this prevents trouble before it starts. Leo broke a few with his 1100's,He could break em with a broomstick. Same old story,there are super stars in all sports. Gun brand or model would never be an issue with Leo.
    Trapshooters are like car owners,they get stuck with a bad one then defend it!1oldtimer

19. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Over the past 20 years Leo has shot several Beretta guns, a 692 gold, an ASE90 and now the DT10. When his back was giving him lots of pain, he put a Stock Lock recoil system on the DT10. Other than that, it is "as is from the factory". He still uses a pull trigger, but does carry an extra one just to be safe, anything can happen to any gun at any time. He really feels good about the reliability of the DT10. Yes, he usually has it looked over while at the Grand, but that is just to save the hassle of shipping and the threat of someone helping themselves to a good gun while it is in transit. Leo isn't very dedicated to gun cleaning but he shoots with Pat McCarthy often and thankfully, Pat is an excellent gun cleaner when the need arises (like after a pouring down rain, which has been just about every shoot we have been to this year). He likes the "one gun" theory, it just makes traveling so much simpler. Tom, if you have any specific questions, email to above address and I will get Leo to help you.

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Top quality shotgun. At least equal to Perazzi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta dt 10 with cosmoline

beretta dt10 opinions

dt10 double fire

dt10 double firing