1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DT 10 History?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wineguy, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wineguy

wineguy TS Member

What is the history of the DT 10, and in particular ,why the different lock up system then the 682? Is there a notable performance difference or good marketing by Beretta?
    Thanks for the help, BB

2. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

BB (wineguy),

Like someone who knows far more than me will probably follow up this e-mail, let me tell you what little I know about the DT-10. I currently shoot it's earlier counterpart (predeccessor sp?), the ASE-90. What I feel to be one of the best guns out there. I shoot a K-80 for my trap events and have another with a tube-set for skeet, but I have tried both; the K-80 and my tubed ASE-90 and when it comes to feel on the skeet field, nothing touches the ASE-90. Your question about the different locking sysytems on the DT-10 and the 68X series of guns aren't even the same or in the same ballpark. The ASE-90, the ASE-90 Gold , then the ASE Gold were the guns that preceded the DT-10 and what Beretta thought would be a better gun (more effieciently made and superior) than the ASE-90, but I think the missed the mark on it myself, but that is only a personal opinion. I know lots of people who shoot DT-10's in trap competitions and they are fine guns. I just know the locking system on my ASE (from what I remember everyone telling me, it's basically a Greener cross-bolt or something like that) and when I close mine, I like to shot people how smooth and slow I can go closed with it and hear that distinctive "bank-vault" thud or clunk sound that only comes from my ASE. The drop out trigger is a work of art and like I said earlier, not much feels better in my hands than my ASE, except when I'm shooting trap, and I still love my blued super-scroll K-80.

From what I have been told, the original guns like mine (ASE-90) were the hand-made guns Beretta made for the 1990 Olympics. These guns came off the same "assembly" line as their SO-series (Special Order)guns and are every bit the same quality. The DT-10 have maybe some hand-made parts, but are mainly a CNC-computer machined gun along the lines of their 68X series guns, but still a step up in quality, and cost.

Hope this helps,
    Mike* (MH*)

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

MH,

You can edit your original post and correct all the errors by using the edit and delete function at the top of the page. HMB

4. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Thanks HMB. I went back and editted my message and then deleted the one letting everyone know how bad a typist I was. MH*

5. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I always end up venturing into these DT10 suggestions, because I own and shoot two of them. I have had Brownings, Berettas and Perazzis and have shot the Kregoff and Kolar guns. For my money, and that may be the bottom line, the DT 10 gave me the fit, weight and solid performance that was essential. Leo Harrison shoots one, as do lots of others, and I have yet to find someone who really complains about the lack of dependability of the DT10. They are solid as a rock and the Greener lock system is reported to be one of the safetest in use. Shoot em all and buy the one you like and can afford. That is the key.

JON

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

The Beretta boxlock guns and drop trigger guns ASE ASE 90 ASE 90 Gold and DT-10 all share there heritage with the revered Beretta S series Sidelock guns.

Starting in 1933 and still in production these guns offer an extremely tight bank vault type lockup that actually tightens upon being fired. With its trunions (hinge)located relatively high in the receiver the gun exhibits very little barrel flip and is the perennial favorite of the Live pigeon and Bunker shooters.

All of the guns utilize the same basic receiver and lockup with the differences being only in the trigger/fire control mechanism and shell ejection. In fact when I owned an ASE-90 I used my carrier barrels on an SO 5 and I also fitted DT-10 Barrels to my ASE 90. I now have a DT-10 and consider it a fine gun with tolerances every bit as good as its more expensive siblings.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ase 90 vs dt10

beretta ase gold vs dt10

beretta dt10 history

dt10 kilit sidtemi

tighten barrels dt10

what lock in beretta ase 90